Insulating the 1st floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any benefit or disadvantage to fitting celotex or similar between the 1st floor joists in an older house?

1870 my house is. Can’t do much good for airflow.....or does it not make a difference? This can be improved in other ways of course
No doubt it would keep downstairs warm, but then none of that warmth gets transfered through the floor....But it would be great for sound proofing between floor

I suppose the question is.....is it worth it? Or should I Chuck another shrimp on the barbie and chillax?

Louis

Is there any benefit or disadvantage to fitting celotex or similar between the 1st floor joists in an older house?

1870 my house is. Can’t do much good for airflow.....or does it not make a difference? This can be improved in other ways of course
No doubt it would keep downstairs warm, but then none of that warmth gets transfered through the floor....But it would be great for sound proofing between floor

I suppose the question is.....is it worth it? Or should I Chuck another shrimp on the barbie and chillax?

Louis
Celotex would not be the most cost effective soundproofing solution. What problem are you actually trying to solve?

For heat loss it can be worth insulating the small wall section between the joists but it’s minimal, as for the ceiling/floor itself any heat loss to that eventually becomes a heat gain so not financially worth insulating.
If your problem is noise then that’s a different matter

Looks like chucking another prawn or two on the bbq is best option.

I was born and raised in a stone house built god knows how long ago.
There was no heat of any kind in the upstairs except what came up through the floor and from the chimney breast.

I always considered heat lost to the upstairs as not really lost.

On the other hand we could hear almost every word said downstairs.

Hi
I live in a flat/maisonette and have fitted Acoustilay 15 throughout even on the stairs (which took some doing). It's heavy and expensive but does the job very well. My neighbour downstairs loves me for it. I got mine on eBay. If you're buying any real quantity you'll need a van, 15 sheets in the back of a Golf makes it sit quite low on it's shockers!!😀

Latest posts

Back