Installing a mitre saw with a length gauge and stop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimT

Reaction score
I want to install a mitre saw in my shed but in addition to the saw itself I want a length gauge upon which a stop will slide along. So when I need to perform a cross cut upon a length of timber I can simply slide the stop along the gauge to the required length and make the cut.

The only problem is that I'm not sure how to construct this!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Norm made a couple of these: project numbers 0922 and 0201.

I made one based on the latter project.
Mitresawtables001.jpg

Mitresawtables002.jpg

I never completed the stop arrangement so you will have to look at Norm's for that but anything clamped along the top edge of the vertical part of the left hand guide (under the photo of my 'wife') will suffice.

Bob

cheers Bob, that looks like what I am after. Where/how do I find the projects you mentioned?

Have look for new yankee workshop and Norm Abram.

The plans and videos (DVD?) can be bought in UK format but I can't recall the agent but it will be online.

I used to have an online link to various pirate video but I've lost it. Maybe someone will help although slightly outside the terms of this forum ahem!.

I have the TV programmes on VHS cassettes but still have not worked out how to get them onto DVD and it not a priority - at least till the cold weather keeps me indoors!

If you still have VHS playback available, I could copy them for you. Send me a PM to follow this up.

Bob

Bloody hell! I do hate these boastful types with workshops the size of your average M & S store AND a wife with some great attributes =P~

Tony Spear":3820d40j said:
9fingers":3820d40j said:
seaco":3820d40j said:
Ah! just noticed there's a saw in the first pic...

There are a pair in view actually Lee!!

Bob :lol: :lol:

Bob, are you talking about the saws? :lol:

If so, why do you have a mitre saw and a decent RAS?

It is a very good question Tony. The RAS I picked up on fleabay and is due for refurbishment. It will probably replace the cheapy screwfix Titan mitre saw that I have had for quite a while and is used more often at the job location.

Bob

head clansman":ed4febwi said:
hi bob

is that the wife by any chance ,? lucky dog :wink: if so where did you say you live. hc :lol: :lol:

The picture was taken a couple of years back. Now when I look carefully the workshop is a whole lot fuller and more untidy and my wife's appearance seems to have deteriorated more than somewhat as well. :lol:

Bob

4013184315_00d850bc9e.jpg

For a length stop I can recommend this.

Part number 310222 Perfect Stop plus 600865 sticky back scale

Built like a brick "outhouse", repeatable, accurate, magnifier for the short sighted and all for under 20 quid.

You will never have to cut to a pencil line again.

Do you know where to get those magnifiers? I've been looking out for one for ages. I know Tony bought one in Tesco, but I've never seen one anywhere.
Cheers
Steve

Try a google search for Bar Magnifier. You will find lots of them, mainly for use as reading aids for the visually impaired.

As such they are quite long, so could be cut up to provide several small ones for applications like the length stop.

Dave D":3j9zqe81 said:
4013184315_00d850bc9e.jpg

For a length stop I can recommend this.

Part number 310222 Perfect Stop plus 600865 sticky back scale

Built like a brick "outhouse", repeatable, accurate, magnifier for the short sighted and all for under 20 quid.

You will never have to cut to a pencil line again.

That looks real nice, but I have googled both and no results.

Sorry. I should have said that those items are from the Axminster catalogue.
I hope that they are still there.

Dave D":2mldnpc0 said:
Sorry. I should have said that those items are from the Axminster catalogue.
I hope that they are still there.

Searched hi and low with no success.

So have I. I have searched the Axminster website and their latest catalogue to no avail.
Maybe you could quote the name Perfect Stop and the product number to Axminster and ask for the manufacturer's name from their archives.

Or maybe the producer has gone bust or does not make them anymore.
Its a pity. Its a great product and when I bought it a great price.

Latest posts

Back