Inspiration from Loz and other items

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I mentioned on a previous post that Loz's tri footed box with the clock insert gave me an idea for a larger version. So here it is, hope you like.

It stands 7in wide foot to foot and 7 1/2 in tall. Finished with 4 coats of BLO.

Front View
Tri_Clock_01_web.jpg

Side View
Tri_Clock_02_web.jpg

I must admit it did cost me a tool rest making this, so a word to the wise, when roughing down make sure you gouge does not touch the chuck jaws :( It took a sliver out the jaws and snapped the tool rest in half. This with the tool in solid contact with the tool rest, just shows what rotational forces there are in a turning piece of wood. The gouge came out of this unscathed and didn't even dull it.

Next up we have a chucky bowl from spalted Sycamore, stands 7 1/4 in wide by 4 in tall finished with danish oil, bit disappointed with the rim, which I didn't notice till I'd taken of the lathe. but I must have tapped it slightly off center while doing the inside. If I'd not done the recess in the top I wouldn't have been noticeable.

Chucky_Bowl_04_web.jpg

Chucky_Bowl_03_web.jpg

Chucky_Bowl_02_web.jpg

Chucky_Bowl_01_web.jpg

And finally, a Birch crouch natural edged bowl. Vitals are 11 1/2 in at the widest point, 2 1/2 in tall and the bowl is 6 in wide. Had to use a large amount of CA as one side was a bit soft, this also meant I had to rethink the rim as the spalted part was chipping. This was finished with 1 and a bit coats of BLO. Bit nervous with this as the top was turned entirely on a glue block so not to have a chucking recess.

I say 1 and a bit because after taking the glue block off I then wiped it down with a bit a acetone to get rid of dust, it happened the cloth I used had a bit of BLO from buffing the cloak left on it. This seemed to really pick the grain out, so I put some BLO into the acetone I had left, about 50/50 and applied this. It soaked straight in and gave a really vibrant look, presumable the acetone acting as a solvent and allowing the BLO to really penetrate the wood.

Birch_Winged_Crouch1_01_web.jpg

Birch_Winged_Crouch1_02_web.jpg

Birch_Winged_Crouch1_03_web.jpg

As always comment appreciated.

Mark.............

Really like what you’ve done with the rim of that bowl Mark, very different. But the Birch crouch is the real winner for me, fabulous piece. I like the clocks shape, however not keen on the hands, would have liked to see something a little more ‘low-key’, as I think the hands in my opinion are a little too ornate and detract from what you’ve produced there. Don’t take that to heart Mark, most likely me just being a fussy git. :)

Dan

Thanks for the comments Dan.

Looking at the clock I see what you mean, I did think of making a set of simple hands but used the set that came with the mechanisim. Also I had to trim the hands done a bit to fit so this could have an effect.

All I've got to do now is turn the other side of the crouch to match :)

Mark......

I love the bowl and crotch too - it has inspired me to have a go at the latter. Not keen on the clock, but that's a personal taste thing. I much prefer chunky bowls.

As regards the rim of the bowl, I have learned the hard way that you need to have a real close look under direct light for any imperfections/scratches etc, then have another look! So many times I take a poiece off the chuck only to THEN find the problems.

Great work!

Back