Inside Out Turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomorph

Established Member
Reaction score
Just watched this demo of inside out turning and boy does it look cool. It was good enough that it's made me want to get a lathe (yet another tool on my wish list).

This guy in the demo did a goblet INSIDE of a bottle. I just wish I could record the channel...

Never seen it before - is it the same idea as the "ship in a bottle" ?
(Another of those things that,if you never saw someone doing it,you would be sure it wasn't possible :? )

Andrew

You take four piece of square stock and glue them together with something called craft paper to make the not permanently stuck together. Once dry you then cut away part of the middle of the glued up stock on your lathe. Once you have done that you take the stock off the lathe and then split it into four again and rotate each piece around 180 degrees so what was outside is now inside and then glue them together again (remembering to put the thing you want inside the bottle).

You then put the stock back onto the lathe and make the stock bottle shaped. It's as simple as that.

It's a way of enabling you to lathe the inside of what looks like a solid piece. If it's not clear I could knock up some Sketchup pics to show it simpler.

Thanks - I understood your explanation,but can't go wrong with a link as well (can I? :wink: )

Andrew

I do some inside out turning now and then. Some people on this forum were not very positive about portraits done that way. Recently I did a -don't know how it is called in English- to present sweets with an inside-out foot.

galhans_10_new.jpg

Hans

Very nice,Hans :D

I also don't know what to call it in English :( (sweet-bowl ? side dish? nibbles tray ?)
And the base looks astounding (as I said before,unless someone had explained it,I would never have worked out how it was done..)

Andrew

Neomorph":14gbi2uv said:
Now I've been able to see the schedule of The Woodworking Channel the program you want to see is ...

"American Association of Woodturners - Michael Werner - Inside-Out Split Turning"

Its on tonight at 7.42pm EST which I think is 01.42 BST

A bit late I know.

Back