Inset hinge question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuggyBear

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just joined the forum and I'm hoping someone kind could help me with a question :D

I have a half height cupboard in my bedroom that sits directly above the stairs. What I'd like to do is make the door to the cupboard appear to be a mirror. I'm using 18mm chipboard to which a 4mm piece of mirror glass will be bonded to one side. The plan is to fit it directly into the apeture much like a regular door and then fit oak architrave around the outside to give the effect of frame and mirror. Can anyone please recommend a concealed inset hinge that would suit a 22mm thick door? Ideally if the door could open greater than 90 degrees that would be good! :mrgreen:

Andy

Soss Hinges will do the job - Completely concealed but will open more than 90 degrees as required. Not cheap but will hold the weight of the mirror etc.

Rog

I have used the following from Hafele for similar work.
www.bkservicesonline.co.uk will sell them. Put the code 316.05.615 into the search box. They open nearly 180 degrees, lie in doors require the 12 crank version. They also do a 0 crank version for lie on doors. Very east to fit and inexpensive. Dont forget to order the mounting plates.

Regards,
LB.

Firstly thanks very much for your replies and suggestions!

The soss hinges look like a neat solution but being a bit of a woodworking newbie I'm not sure how well I'd get on making the required recesses in the edge of the chipboard door. I just know I'd mess it up!! :oops:

I'll go for the Hafele ones I think.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back