ink cartridges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymar

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any recommendations for printer ink? I have used compatibles before but I don't which are the best. I have just bought a new printer but on setting it up I found that the included cartridges are "Setup only"which did annoy me, how much more can it cost to put a sensible amount of ink in
Alan

slippery slope alert!! Printer manufacturers operate on the same bogus principle as car manufacturers in that the hardware is priced competitively to get you hooked. Once you have the printer, now you need to start "mainlining" on ludicrously expensive cartridges. Just like car parts!

And if you get all clever and stray into the realms of the cheaper clones......all the manufacturers driver software that gives useful information about ink levels etc stops working because the clones aren't chipped with the right information. They also kindly give you annoying messages every time you turn the thing on to remind you how "dare you" stray from their proprietary carts which are of course 4 times the price of the clones. Oh, you'll also invalidate the warranty if its inside a year. Though that might be illegal if tested in court.

I'm not sure which of the clones is best, I've tried various on fleabay and they've all given me problems, not consistently either so its difficult to nail down what works and what doesn't. By coincidence I need a black and cyan right now so other responses to this will be interesting as I fully confess I haven't cracked it yet. I am loathe just to give in and buy the proprietary ones at their water take price though.

EDIT: Gotta love the self correcting swear removal software....you can probably imagine what "water" take said originally :)

I have used Premier Inks for the last 5 years and the service is first class

Chris

Cartridge people for me, been using them for years, just ordered 6 full sets (30 carts) for my Canon MP610 for just over £30 and great delivery service too.

Buy a cheap colour laser printer, it will save you in the long-run.

No more wasting half your ink cleaning the heads!

Pete

Racers":2e3x4sl4 said:
Buy a cheap colour laser printer, it will save you in the long-run.

No more wasting half your ink cleaning the heads!

Pete

+1

The HP colour printer we recently bought is superb. And it scans well. And copies well.

A slightly different take on the price of cartridges.

I use genuine Epson ink cartridges but, luckily I don't use them so often these days.

What I do is save my Nectar points and use them against the price of cartridges in Argos.

I've used Prink and INKredible, happy with both, although I admit it is only low-level printing - the daily crossword and the occasional invoice. I don't print out photos, for instance. But for the stuff I do, they are fine.

The printer itself makes a huge difference, of course. In a recent Gadget Show they tried 3 wireless printers, an HP which looked very chic but performed the worst, a Canon, and an Epsom. The reviewer made the point that "Epson don't have a Styling Department..." and indeed it did look like something from the last century, but it came out tops in terms of actual performance.

Myfordman":s84g349t said:
I have had good results with Prink for many years.

Also used Prink for many years on both HP and Epson printers I have printed many documents on different types of papers & card. Photographs both matt & glossy have always been very good quality.

Even after extended periods of no use, the cartridges ALWAYS print first time.

Always good service & never a bad cartridge.

Regards,
Keith

This must rank high amongst the world's greatest rip-offs at the moment: someone calculated that by liquid volume, printer ink is more expensive than the world's priciest Champagne (possibly another great rip-off in its own right) :!: And is it my imagination, or the cartridges seem to have less and less ink in them these days?

Refilling seems to be the way to go, perhaps. Ink bandits, Hewlett Packard warn that this practice, or use of compatibles, may damage the machine - but with the price of a printer vs. the price of cartridges, do I care? :evil: (hammer)

Back