Infill with unusual adjuster sold on ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_P

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-BRASS ... 7675.l2557

infil adjuster.JPG

Attachments

• infil adjuster.JPG
    infil adjuster.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,295
From time to time I have browsed through the planes on offer on eBay but I get tired looking at the same old tat before I see any gems like that one. I have never seen one like it before. I wonder if it was a commercial design or a one off.

Well spotted Mr P!

Anyone on here expecting a hard heavy lump in their stocking on Christmas day?

Many thanks Leicestershire Andy, the depth and breadth of knowledge on here never fails to impress me.

Sadly Bristolian Andy not expecting anything plane related, maybe block plane socks again groannn. Did have my eye on DB's Mathieson 4 1/2 yesterday but went for a lot more than I was prepared to pay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MATHIESON-4-1 ... SwcOFWbZt-

Still good value considering the condition, rarity and price of a new Lie Neilsen, Clifton etc...

The quest for a bargain continues, its what keeps me going back to ebay and scolling through the usual tat. Maybe in 2016 I'll get my hands on an I.Sorby 4 1/2.

Mr_P":271o5vfx said:
The quest for a bargain continues
No Interest in woodies? I recently picked up a new coffin smoother purely for the I. Sorby iron (the beech was in a shocking state and I thought unsalvageable) and they're far more common in the UK than here so it's easy enough to pick up one in great shape and for less than the price of a coffee, can't argue with that!

Mr_P":271o5vfx said:
its what keeps me going back to ebay and scolling through the usual tat.
In case you don't already look there, don't forget to check in on Gumtree, many planes on there right at the minute for less than the going rate on eBay.

Thanks Ed,

Yes I've plenty of woodies even had a bash at making one recently, blew the mouth so started on something easier, small dovetailed infill, thread coming soon when I'm a bit further along.

Thanks for the tip but I spend enough time on ebay as it is, think someone on here found a dirt cheap Norris on gumtree and one was even found on freecycle.

A bit macabre but true, job lot season starts in the new year, keep some , sell some. I only joined this forum because I wanted some advice on selling an infill I found that way, I'm still here and so is the plane.

Mr_P":h8kxj9ye said:
even had a bash at making one recently, blew the mouth
Not really a problem if you're using a double iron. The mouths on many coffin smoothers ended up huge (by today's standards :lol:) and went largely un-fixed, which tells us something about how that affected performance in the eyes of their users.

I was copying a cracked but repaired single iron 4 1/2" coffin, it works amazingly well but suddenly loses tension due to the metal band repair and the wedge/iron come lose. It even has a metal sole so maybe I will go back to it one day.

Guess my chances of success would have been higher if I'd have made a bigger one first but I can find them easily.

Back