Infill Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just captured this steel casting for an infill plane and would welcome any ideas or thoughts on the best way to proceed and also best timbers to use etc etc. I have an idea that I might 'load' the infills with lead to give more weight and heft, any thoughts on this?
I posted one pic of a plane I saw and liked.
Infill-casting01.jpg

infill-casting02.jpg

infill-casting03.jpg

infill-casting04.jpg

infill-idea02.jpg

Regards,
Martin

Cool! How heavy is it Martin?
Why not go for a Norris style? Loaded with Rosewood or Ebony?
Jim Kingshotts book is very useful for this kind of thing-also has plans, etc.....
Cheers
Philly :D

Martin,

The plane that you show looks like a Stanley #8 (or maybe #7, hard to tell without a scale reference) with infilled ends. Is it the case?

If so, I would say that while the infilled ends add to weight, they do nothing to ensure a more solid bedding to the blade, which an infill is designed to do.

Am I missing something here? I'm asking in a non-confrontational way...

DC

DC
I think you are right it is probably a No7 or 8 I just used it as an illustration of a shape that I liked. I take your point totally. :)

Philly
I will weigh it asap but its about the sisize of a No6. Will call you later.

Regards
martin

mahking51":3kswoc8c said:
DC
I think you are right it is probably a No7 or 8 I just used it as an illustration of a shape that I liked. I take your point totally. :)

Philly
I will weigh it asap but its about the sisize of a No6. Will call you later.

Regards
martin

That'll ceertainly help you build that promised kitchen :lol: :lol: :lol:

mahking51":1jedp9dp said:
That's an interesting one - first one I've seen beside John Brown's. Can't off-hand recall his argument in their favour, but I don't think the advantage of added weight should be lightly dismissed, specially in a #8... :shock:

So is there some sort of infill plane disease sweeping through Dorset? Waka needs to watch out. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1brgbqxr said:
So is there some sort of infill plane disease sweeping through Dorset? Waka needs to watch out.

Alf, as I'm so close to retirement I have blocked infills out of my mind, out of my mind, out of my mind. :eek: :eek:

Waka,
Say after me: I KNOW I NEED one! I KNOW I WANT one! I KNOW I NEED one!....... :twisted: :twisted:
Keep safe and looking forward to seeing you done at last.
Regards
Martin

Back