Infeed table material/stability of maple worktop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ondablade

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 4m length of 40mm maple (?) worktop (the type that's glued up from solid strips) bought for a project that didn't go ahead, and am trying to decide if it'd make a decent top for infeed and outfeed tables.

It's been in the (dry) workshop for more than a year, and should be well acclimiatised. Sounds daft, but covering it in laminate might help to stabilise it.

I've seen one warp badly, albeit a cheaper IKEA version and in damp/dubious circumstances. It'd suit to get some use out of it, but right now though I'm cautious and veering towards thinking some birch ply or MDF might be a better bet.

Experience/thoughts anybody?

It should work fine. I don't think you'll have a warping issue if you fasten it to a frame instead of just attaching legs to it. Make it like a workbench.

Kirk

I would either keep the maple top for a paying job or sell it on ebay and use a piece of mdf for the infeed / outfeed tables.

cheers

Jon

Thanks Jon, Kirk. I've taken your advice Jon and put it up for sale on the local small ads site. I'd no idea the stuff was so expensive until I looked, so thanks for that. I obtained the 4m x 665x40 length last year as a part of a quid pro quo deal with a friend in the kitchen business. The initial plan was to use it as the basis for a bench top, but some reading up of Chris Schwarz's bench book put me off that.

Back