Indexing wheel for turnery.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how this will go, but here goes. I can inlay spots and plugs on spindle work no problem, but I wanted something that enabled me to inlay in the opposite plane- i.e. at right angles to the face plate. It was the reason for asking a few weeks ago about dividing the circle into five or seven, but I decided to k.i.s.s. for the time being and just go for the 24 I could mark off the lathe.

Poor photo, but you get the idea.
I started with a Lazy Susan, which needed to be kept concentric with the hole that was to carry the face plate - the object being that I could just drop the face plate on the table and it would be concentric. (near as a damn).

The Lazy Susan was fitted tightly to the bung, and the hole cut in the other side for the boss of the face plate so everything was concentric.
I wanted something more than a pen mark on the edge, so I decided if I knocked the stems out of some pop rivets I could glue the heads into holes drilled by indexing on the lathe. These were 4mm so I drilled a 4mm hole through the end of a tool rest, set the rest on the diameter and drilled through it.

So, to move on.

So. The jig sits in the vice, and the drill stand with its 43mm collar bolts down through holdfast holes. There is a small block attached with an 8mm bolt with a sharpened end (I'll get this tidied up when I get my friend to turn one) which engages in the pop rivet heads, and a 5mm steel dowel stuck in the table which alignes with a hole drilled in the face plate (The face plate was drilled on a pillar drill and the hole in the ply drilled down through it). If extra security is needed there is a pad glued under the table where the holdfast is shown so that if that (or a cramp) is used it doesn't tip the table up. The router of course can be set to follow any circle you choose.
This is the most complicated thing I've yet posted so I hope it is a least coherent.
Phil.

I can drop the near finished work on the "table" (where the blank is now) without taking it off the faceplate, and plunge the router down to give a ring of inlays (or a continuous edge, or even accurate random patterning) of 4. 6, 8, 12 or 24 plugs. All sorts of other patterning is possible, the piece can be worked quickly and accurately and returned to the lathe for finishing without ever being taking off its centre. The bung is only to show how it was made to be as concentric as possible - no way could I have cut the hole for the faceplate then fixed the Lazy Susan with perfect concentricity.. Just imagine the yew blank is a near finished bowl awaiting an inlay or pattern worked on its rim, still attached to the faceplate under it which sits in the centre of the ply disc.

Spot the mistake - on the last pic, see the hole on the far side of the table? I mounted the Lazy Susan upside down, and by the time I noticed I didn't want to lose concentricity by taking it off so had to put the hole through the top not the bottom. It's a while since I used one. :oops:

Well, it works. I had to pack the drill stand off the bench for the first trial as the circle I wanted was too small.

I'm getting a bit more used to uploading pics, now :D

Pity the definition isn't a bit better, but the pics make its purpose a little cleaner.

Back