Incra's Rulers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one i have and use, which is a 300mm. T-rule actually has increments of 0,25mm. available. ( This one )

It's great for those odd little marking jobs, but i find i stretch for the Starret combo most times i need something marked out.

All in all, not a bad buy though. I know i've done worse :oops:

AndyT":1ttoffi8 said:
I'd be interested in exactly how anyone uses one of these. I've watched the video and it only shows marking quite unrelated to making anything.

For example, I recently made some mortice and tenoned door frames. For the marking part of the job I had the stiles and rails clamped up in pairs, and used a try square across four or six pieces at once. Slide the try-square into position (with the ruler resting on it, on edge) then remove the ruler and mark the line all the way across. As far as I know this is normal practice.

When a mark is for a cut, it's done with a knife. To square round, the knife sits in the cut and you slide the square up to meet it.

For breadth and thickness, I use a marking gauge, not a ruler. I don't think poking the pin of the gauge through a hole in a ruler would be any easier.

And although the slots and holes on these rulers are undoubtedly spot on the numerical measurements, generally what matters is not a part's absolute size, but making it match something else - no numbers involved.

Am I missing something?

I don't think so - I guess it depends how you like to work. For example I use them for fitting hinges and locks. I could do the same task with a marking gauge like you mention. However, if your using hinges that are the same size etc you can just mark out and instantly know the sizes. (I may also use the gauge at the same time) I suspect as my background is more in metalwork you tend to measure then mark out rather than just transfer measurements - I take this approach into my woodwork. I would mark M&Ts in a similar way to you though.

They're just another useful tool to have available.

Cheers
David

That T rule looks great. Funny how Rutlands is on par with US prices 1 US dollar = 1 British pound :evil:

As I say, I've not used it properly yet. But marking out accurately in increments seems like it will be useful. I can't tell you the amount of times I've wanted .5mm and wished I had a magnifying glass, even though my vision is 20-20.

What I ment was that if your marking a cut with a 0.5mm thick pencil line its not accurate enough :p

Joints":1uxxhjia said:
What I ment was that if your marking a cut with a 0.5mm thick pencil line its not accurate enough :p

I still don't understand what you're getting at?

Like David my instincts as a result of an engineering/machining background are to lay out by measurements too - although where it's possible to easily transfer mark i'll do that too.

Not done it, but i imagine if you wanted more accuracy with these rules there's no reason why you couldn't use a 0.5mm thick scalpel or a scribing point with the right taper through the slots/holes ....

ian

Latest posts

Back