Improving the look of Camphor Laurel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughie

Established Member
Reaction score
This was a fairly ordinary piece of CL with not much heart wood. So a couple of coats of DO later it has darkened up nicely and makes a fairly respectable looking bowl.

250mm x 150mm with a opening of 100mm

Attachments

• Camphor Laurel 002.jpg
    Camphor Laurel 002.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 982
  • CL 001.jpg
    CL 001.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 982
That's an amazing looking piece Hughie!
Having not yet done any turning or carving, I am curious as to how you did those spirals, if that's what they are called, so accurately?
Cheers,
Andy

thats a fantastic looking bowl.
i too would like to know how you acheived such an even look to the spirals.
thanks for sharing.
paul-c

re: how to create the spirals, in a previous post Hughie mentions ...

rocket science, its all rocket science :)

CL is a very soft wood and very easy to turn and carve. Marked them out on the lathe with a compass and pencil. Used a Dremel with a Archer carving attachment, files and sandpaper.

nev":2x7erw18 said:
re: how to create the spirals, in a previous post Hughie mentions ...

CL is a very soft wood and very easy to turn and carve. Marked them out on the lathe with a compass and pencil. Used a Dremel with a Archer carving attachment, files and sandpaper.

Thanks Nev,

That previous thread helped explain the rocket science, and something to do with pictures of the same object from different perspectives gave me a good chuckle.

I see they're called flutes rather than spirals..... thin on one end, much much thicker in the middle, and then thin again on the other end. :lol:

And Hughie's laid back Oz approach I like.... Complete machining the item in 2011..... and then finish the item in 2013 ! :wink:

Cheers,
Andy

Truly! Its rocket science, I kid you not.

Spirals, flutes whatever its not that important. As mentioned its soft timber and it carves well too that I would add its very stable and predictable with not allot of tear out and most of all being a noxious weed here its free.

Back