IMO inverter remote control

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvum

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, Please can anyone help with wiring a remote potentiometer to my IMO EDX vfd? IMO will only advise me to buy their very expensive module, but I understand to remotely control speed I need only to connect a potentiometer to the thing fom either the 24V or 10V terminals and make some changes to the software parameters. If anyone has done this or knows how to do it from scratch, I would be most grateful. I hate the smell and price of magic smoke!

The potentiometer connections for speed control are shown in the manuals.

I think this may well be the one for your inverter

In any case you should be looking for similarly identified connection details if the above is not your model and you need to look up the correct one.

Although the voltages are low on the potentiometer wiring if they are taken to a remote location outside machine housing screening they should be made with earthed screened wiring as detailed in the manual wiring diagram to avoid radiating interference.

Do not attempt to touch any wiring associated with the inverter unless it is disconnected from the input power and HAS BEEN SO FOR AT LEAST TEN MINUTES, They have the potential to hold a lethal voltage for some time after switch off.

Chas, thanks for your help, I have the manual for the EDX but they clearly do not wish anyone to circumvent their expensive solution and it only refers to the fitting of their module. I hope someone more expert than me knows the process from first principles.

best regards

Paul

Can you give the exact model number of the drive or a link to the manual? I found a manual online for a small EDX drive EDX-075-21-E. If this is the right drive series you need a 10K pot connected to terminals 10,11 and 12. If you can get the model number off your drive I can help you set it up.

James

James,
Thank you very much for your reply,my inverter is EDX 075 21E the manual does show such a connection and I now understand I have to change parameter A01 to 002 from 000. The connections to terminals 9,10 and 11 do I need a linear or log pot? I assume linear, to give some idea of quarter, half speed etc does the diagram in the manual reflect the actual positions of the terminals on the pot, are these connections standardised?ie middle to middle (10) left to left (9) etc.

regards

Paul

Oops you are correct it is 9,10 and 11. These are typically a linear pot. Pot markings vary. The two most common will give you 2 or W going to terminal 10,this is usually the center pin off the pot, If the other two are reversed the dial just works backwards and you flip the 9 and 11 wires to fix. If you have a red white and black wire coming from your pot it should be red to terminal 9, white to 10 and black to 11.

James

Hi James Thanks for that clarification, as a chippy polarity and voltage range don't figure highly in day to day struggling, but I do like to play making designer firewood and the steinmetz monster I made won't give me speed control over the three phase Jubilee lathe I've refurbed.

Thanks again

regards

Paul

I did something similar with a Wivamac lathe. The connections for that one look pretty much the same. I also included an emergency stop and forward / reverse / stop switches on mine. There are some photos on my websiteif you're interested. I also have the circuit diagrams I put together for my remote controls if they are of any use to you?

Latest posts

Back