immediate bandsaw choice help required??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xc-mtbr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
What would be the preferred optoin between these few
perform ccbb
dewalt 876 but requires a fence,
or a new axminster 250

all same price £170 perform is 150! all collectable locally just thought could get some opions quick as poss so i can make the call

regards

Tony

Don't know which Axy model you've been looking at, but I would guess that from the prices you're quoting on the other machines that it wasn't this one:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-awhbs250n-bandsaw-prod804528/

I'd reckon on getting that one myself, but it depends entirely on what you need it for. I'm very much an Axminster fan though, I've had nothing but excellent service from them time and time again

yes it is that saw from axi, im going on price rather than maximum cut size. The perform is made by axi though as 550w motor and a 160mm cut height? Is it not as good as the smaller axi model? Also, the dewalt is a 500 pound saw to buy new with a 1000w motor and 200mm cut height?
Really need help with this, ideally someone to comment with experience of any of the machines or horror stories etc etc

Well, I have a very small 1/2hp Delta tabletop bandsaw that miles_hot gave me, and with a good 3/8 3tpi blade from Tuffsaws that is capable of ripping 3" deep chunks of beech and purpleheart, so I wouldn't worry about the power rating too much,

Just found this via a little googling about the Perform:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/bandsaw-fettling-perform-ccbb-t5090.html

If what you are saying though is that you can get the normally £500 Dewalt saw for £170 though I'd go for that myself, so long as there's nothing broken that sounds like a bargain to me

hmm interesting, the dewalt has no rip fence with hence price i think, looks ok though

My DW 876 was a complete waste of space no matter how I tried to fettle it.

Bought an old Startrite 352 instead and never regretted it.

Rod

cheers harbo thats me steering toward a new axi awhbs250 then on offer at 162 at the min, just concerned about small motor

Hudson, yeah that is a top model but out my price range ideally looking at the 200 mark which is the smaller version or a secong hand effort. record bs250 is an option, charnwood 10" , fox 186 plus a few others to boot i suppose.
decisions decisions

You've got three bandsaws there ,one which will cut (depth) 8" one will cut 5" and another which will cut 2"
Depends what you want!

Hudson Carpentry":kmd5kmcg said:
Hello

DeWalt stuff made in the last 4 years isn't worth the money at all, its basically Black and Decker quality which is a shame as B&D & DeWalt became the same company in the 60's.

I have this model http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod804525/

Its a dream to use and n ever take the 1/4 blade off (brought separately).

IMO buy the Axminster one

Thats the model i just got off axminsters eBay site, dropped lucky and got it cheap.

xc-mtbr Before i went with an axminster i got in contact with Ian at tuffsaws to see if he had any recomendations and he put me onto the axminster bandsaws he said he knew a couple of people who had the 250 and the 310N, he said if i could go the 310N at £299 which was the end of my range in money then that would be the 1 to go for as you will be able to do more with it in the long run,, but depends on what you want to do with it.

Cheers

Dave

Its mainly for small furniture, and truing up timber so the 4 inch cut height of the axi should do me just fine, guided by price mainly, just had a good offer of record bs250 for 179 ? Thoughts?

Myself personaly after looking at the spec of them both, and knowing how good the axminster after sales support is ,it would be the Axminster 1 for me.

Cheers

Dave

phone axi today and they have the 250 in stock, they have a return there too which they said they would reduce but i'm scepticle as it must be returned for a reason!.
So i reckon i'm gonna get theother for the princly sum of 162 in the morning!!

xc-mtbr I got mine from their eBay store site and i saved a fair bit on it, It arrived the other day and believe me i am glad i did it is in perfect condition. The mitre gauge was missing so i contacted them and i will have 1 by monday at the latest.

Their after sales service is spot on so if you do have a problem they would sort it out no bother, so if they have 1 they will sell you at a reduced rate i would go for it.

Cheers

Dave

yeah could give it a look over i suppose in store, never having owned a bandsaw its out my comfort zone as i would spot any problems

Tony,

I dont know whether it may be of interest to you but a close friend of mine is giving up his woodwork due to ill health and I am helping him to clear his workshop next week.

I will be listing a number of tools for sale but I know he has an Elektra Bekum BA351 which is in excellent if not immaculate order.

Just a thought.

PM me if you want further info.

regards

Rog

Latest posts

Back