image of new lathe in my hobit sized shed!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
loaadsa room there - you can fit a bandsaw in easy ;)

just dont upgrade to a lathe like blisters :lol: :lol:

oh yeah i'm positively overrun with space, bandsaw is the next thing on the list then planer thicknesser that i can shove under my table, both gonna be small scale obviously.
Still, its my little space, radio on, cuppa in hand sat in my chair with a paper and i could be anywhere!!

I can garuantee that it won't stay that clean for long, that tray below the lathe bed is placed there especially to collect large piles of shavings for you to lose your chisels in

it will, i have to hoover and the end of the day otherwise i cant get back in the door :lol:

I spent a while looking for my parting tool the other day only to realise that is was buried under two inches of ash and padouk :lol:

Don't know whay6 size your shed is, mine is 6 x 10 and I'm 6'5" so with a full size lathe, a scroll saw, a pillar drill and a grinder plus shelves full of blanks all down one of the long walls there isn't much room. Oh yes, and a dust extractor as well as a hoover. You'll manage but as said the shavings can really creep up on you without you noticing unless you are meticulous.

pete

wow pete now thats what i call snug, do you need oiling up to squeeze in?? :lol:

Mine is 6 x 8 but i dont have that much major tooling, all hand sized other that vac and compressor which live under the table.

Loads a room there mate! The band saw could go on the bench alongside the planer/thicknesser :shock:

One thing that I would advise before very long is that you cover the furry insulation with something. Staple poly sheeting over it for instance, or it is going to get thicker and thicker with bits and dust!!

I'm really lucky as my w/shop is about 5 X 7 metres. It was a double car port when we moved here and one of the reasons for buying here..

yeah there is plenty for me, my little 4 year loves being in here too so that is cosy...
Not gonna bother with the walls if they get messy so be it, its only temporary as i move round often being in the military and the next house i move to im gonna have a garage.

i have a dust mask and some goggles and moose is bringing a face mask this week so fully protected!!

My shed is 8' x6' & you would not believe what I have been able to cram in there & still have room to work, (just) as you say, all small scale of course as I only make models now. Carbatec lathe, Nova Mercury lathe, two pillar drills, one of which is a miniature, two tiny bandsaws, two bench grinders, an 8" & a 6", a 7" disc sander, plus my tool chests & boxes etc. oh, & 2 miniature metalwork lathes. You'll find as time goes by, you will see ways of improving the available space. Some of the stuff that is not used very often is stored under the bench or in a cupboard & brought out when needed. It works well, although being 6' 2", I do seem to bang my head frequently!!

i like the sound of your set up, still got lots to get myself but want to find out exactly what floats my boat turning wise first before i start adding

only issue i have with size is limitations on what i can make in it, traditionally i like making furniture but end up gluing up indoors much to swmbo's dismay

Back