If you want to see why Scrit is doing it to us...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niki

Established Member
Reaction score
Warning: VERY GRAFIC

Banker lost his fingers while working on CMS

Go to this link
http://www.local10.com/news/11253270/detail.html

You can read the report and if your heart is strong enough...
Below the picture, click on "Images: Finger reattached after etc..)

Thank you Scrit for doing it to us again and again

Have a safe work
niki

We all know about safety in the workshop and many of us nod and agree that we have to take care when we are working on our machines, but by God nothing I have every read or seen has knocked it home like those photos. I have got a good mind to print one out and pin it in the workshop so that I never forget.

Thanks for the link Niki

Mike

That is horrific - hope the guy recovers both physically and mentally soon.

Please keep posting warnings and safety information. Newbies like me are not always aware of the potential dangers and obviously the more experienced can suffer lapses in attention resulting in such accidents.

Tony

What a "plonker". I would have thought that a mitre saw was the least dangerous of all the saws. Why would you need to put your hand anywhere near the blade?

Niki":sy5b9k1z said:
Warning: VERY GRAFIC

Banker lost his fingers while working on CMS

Thank you Scrit for doing it to us again and again

What do you mean? He keeps warning us about climb cuts and dados, but I don't remember the "don't put your fingers on the workpiece under a compound mitre saw" warning :wink:

Unfortunately I've seen pictures like that too many times for comfort.

Two years ago I watched whilst a very skilled surgeon at Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester put my badly damaged right thumb back together under local anaesthetic and a tourniquet. It was fascinating in a way to be so detached from what was happening, at least initially, but towards the end of a 25 minute procedure the amount of pain in my right arm became almost unbearable, despite no less than 9 shots of anaesthetic, and it was necessary for a nurse to restrain me physically whilst the surgeon finished up. At least I couldn't feel the stitches going in :?

Once out of theatre I was OK for another 8 hours or so until the local anaesthetic began to wear off. I then endured what I can only describe as one the most painful 4 or 5 hours of my entire life. Apparently you have a huge number of sensory nerves in your fingers and thumbs which makes the hands one of the more painful parts of the body to injure. Believe me, I was a biker and I've had my share of broken bones and road rash but absolutely nothing could compare with the amount of pain I was in when everything "woke up" so to speak. I cannot begin to comprehend the amount of pain that amputee would have been in at that juncture. In my case I was eventually returned to hospital that evening and an elephantine dose of painkillers administered so that I could get some rest. I was only off work for a few days, although on pain killers for about a month. The thumb took three months to heal, nearly six months to get almost full motor function back, and two years later I still don't have full sense of feeling or strength in the thumb - and probably never will. Which is one of the reasons I can't/don't text (so at least one plus in the whole episode :lol: )

Whilst attending hospital afterwards for physio I met quite a few people who'd experienced work-related trauma injuries, many much more serious than my own. What struck me was the number who said something along the lines of "if only I'd known better" or "it was just a momentary lapse".

This wasn't my first woodworking machinery related accident, and it won't be the last I feel sure, but hopefully it will be the most serious. I am constantly trying to ensure that it is. I trust that helps explain part of my somewhat zealous approach to safety and why I'm not really so jocular about it.

Thank you for posting this Niki. It makes a point more graphically than I could.

Scrit

A woodworking friend of mine told me his neighbour did just the same thing with a mitre saw a few months back. He had the misfortune of taking off his full left hand! I have no idea how this can happen but always make sure my hands are well clear of the blade and hold the wood well back from the cutting line. In the article he did say he was tired at the time. NEVER WORK WITH MACHINERY WHEN YOU ARE TIRED is rule we should all stick to I think. :shock:

JFC":hcbo5g1m said:
Nasty ! He wont be "banking" for a while eh :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Quality!!

Horrific photo's though, i still cant believe they could get his fingers on the mangled pulp of a hand, it's like something of a horror B-Movie!

I'm glad i'm not stupid and follow safety precuations.

Been awake half the night thinking about the job that needs to be finished this weekend, it's now 06:00 and I'm tired and until a few minutes ago was thinking about going into work to install a lot of very tricky crown moulding, which included some very small pieces of returns.......... think I'll go back to bed

Last night I was quite shocked at the images, so decided to print out the 'nasty' one and stick it to the wall in the workshop as a reminder.
:shock:

This morning I went down and was 'pottering about' (like you do at 7.30 on a Sat morning !!) and the first thing I did was replace the crown guard on my Kity 419 (never to be removed again :oops: )

Thanks for the post Niki

johnny 'ten fingers'

I quite often find myself pondering going into the workshop last thing at night to do some tinkering, but I have always managed to stop myself - being the desperately paranoid individual I am, I'm always convinced I'll do something like that to myself whilst tired. I consider my cowardice now to be well founded!

Very very nasty,its only when you see the damage that can be caused with power tools that you realise the dangers,i hope the guy makes a near full recovery as possible.

This is a very good reminder of what can happen when we take your eye off the ball ( so to speak ), if you be pro or amateur it is something that is easy to do, it just takes a second of not concentrating.

For me this is one of the reasons that I was happy to no longer have a TS in my workshop ( I dont miss it but this is not for everyone ), as like Scrit I have been on the wrong end of one (more than once and luckily not any where as bad ).

I thank Scrit and Niki for bringing this up and making sure it is not forgotten, as some my not be as lucky.

Regards Colin

I know i joked about it earlier but i have been into the workshop this morning and cringed a bit more than usual when i was using the TS and mitre saw. You have to show these machines the respect they deserve whilst not being so nervous that it causes a mistake. Its a fine line. To nervous and wary and you are hurt and to cocky and you are hurt.

I thought hard when using a mitre saw and an unguarded router cutter today and concentrated - but I think I usually do. I can't think of how I would get my hand under a CMS, but it is obviously possible.

My cheapo table saw (cash & carry job) has a guard which is awful to use, including two anti kickback claws that dig into the work, mark it and then jam solid, so it is actually easier to use with the guard off. I have now resolved that it goes back on, and stays there, modified if necessary.

Thanks.

Shultzy,

What a "plonker". I would have thought that a mitre saw was the least dangerous of all the saws. Why would you need to put your hand anywhere near the blade?

"For all the years I've been doing it, I never thought it would happen to me. I was tired. " said Irvin

He probably thought that other people who had accidents were plonker's too.
Any blade that cuts, can cut, and so there are no safe ones. A moments distraction is all it takes, especially when you are tired.

Cheers

Mike

Latest posts

Back