Identify please??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xc-mtbr

Established Member
Reaction score
HI All,

I have made friends with our local tree surgeon who has kindly allowed me to raide his wood pile whenever i like,it's huge but i have no idea what is on it so i have taken a sample collection and though you guys might know what they are and if they are any use to me for turning, if they are i can get more :D

IMAG0112.jpg

Thanks for your help as always

Hi

Silver Birch, some thing I recognize but can't name, pear, sycamore and leylandii,

Pete

Silver birch, I recognise the second one too and can't put a name to it, one of the fruit woods or possibly hawthorn, sycamore or maybe ash (can't really tell from the photo), leylandii or similar, and silver birch again - just on the right hand edge of the shot.

I'm not great at wood in tree form but I'm all for a game!!!!

1- Silver Birch
2- London Plane
3- Ash
4- Walnut
5- Fruit wood of some kind??

Prob not right but worth a guess!!

Cheers

Richard

oh lord i'm more confused than ever lol, depending on which of these they might be are they good for turning

Ok here goes with my guess.

Silver Birch, Eucalyptus (branch wood rather than trunk), Hawthorn (especially if the cut end has gone yellow/orange), London Plane, Birch and more Silver Birch far right.

Regards

Steve :)

In answer to your other question. All the named woods are OK for turning apart from Eucalyptus which, if one of them is such, will split and warp all over the place as soon as you start cutting it.

Bottom line use whatever wood you can. if you are getting wood that way it's an idea to invest in a cheap moisture meter and check the content when you get the wood. If he has a big pile it's possible some of it may be drier but generally speaking it is all likely to be relatively wet.

Pete

I'd definitely go for Eucalyptus for the second left. Like the dreaded leylandii, they look nice in someone's garden when they are little, then the owner looks away and the d**n thing has become a monster before they can look again. Then the call goes out for the tree surgeon.

All nice for turning - but what isn't if it's free? :D

amazing, well chuffed then, more trips to the pile. its stacked up 10ft high and goes on for about 40 yrds.
Might have a look see how much a sensor is as i reckon this is genarally how i'm gonna be sourcing wood all the time, recycling!!

Bodrighy":3iyeelkp said:
In answer to your other question. All the named woods are OK for turning apart from Eucalyptus

ive never had much joy with silver birch - bland, borring and tears like bugggery

xc-mtbr":1f1asjb5 said:
amazing, well chuffed then, more trips to the pile. its stacked up 10ft high and goes on for about 40 yrds.
Might have a look see how much a sensor is as i reckon this is genarally how i'm gonna be sourcing wood all the time, recycling!!

cheap ones are about 25 notes

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... prod22683/

but if you want a fancy one you can pay ten times that.

Back