IDEAS 4 coffe table???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezmaster

Established Member
Reaction score
just brought 6 x 3/4 inch oak p.a.r boards 2.4 lengths. anyone got ideas on how to build them into making a coffe table.

Try using strips of cardboard and masking tape to make model mock up's
also draw on paper its fast and cheap :wink:
If you dont feel confident to design your self, study variuos furniture types and forms for inspiration, or buy a ready made plan?
Does this help?
cheers Jonathan :D

This is a slightly scaled down version of one of Kevin Ley's designs, would suit your boards though I think I machined mine to about 20-22mm finish size with a few off cuts of mahogany for the panels & insets.

Sorry I didn't dust the shelf before taking the pic :wink:

PICT0026.jpg

Jason

jasonB":2rdloz2p said:
................ with a few off cuts of mahogany for the panels & insets.

Jason

I like the inserts Jason. How thick are they and how did you inset them?

The ones in the legs are loose 6mm panels set into grooves, the ones in the top (also two under the flat box and one in the center of shelf) are 3mm thick. Marked them out with a scalple, cut most of the waste away with the router freehand then cleaned up the edges with a chisel. Glued them in with a block of wood clamped over the top so the moisture in the glue didn't make them cup then planed & sanded flush.

Jason

My first effort after returning to woodwork about 3 years ago. Very simple to make, mainly loose tenon construction. Legs are laminated from three pieces. Not to everyone's taste perhaps but looks good in our house.
ec67ae20.jpg

colinc":40g9qd96 said:
My first effort after returning to woodwork about 3 years ago. Very simple to make, mainly loose tenon construction. Legs are laminated from three pieces. Not to everyone's taste perhaps but looks good in our house.

Looks very nice Colin. What is the wood and what finish did you use?

RogerM":wmfct5f1 said:
colinc":wmfct5f1 said:

Looks very nice Colin. What is the wood and what finish did you use?

It's American White Oak, finished with Liberon Finishing Oil + Wax, simple to apply and maintain. Have promised to make a couple more for friends sometime soon.

colin

How about some wedged loose tenons?

This is oak all 1/2" or 3/4" reclaimed. Rails joined to legs with dowels as is the top to the legs.

small_table1.jpg

Andy

A lot of good advice here already.

I'd just say,

1. Try to get the basic proportions right for starters - that is a pleasing look to whomever you are trying to please

2. Remember that small details like an accent of another wood, a small bead or quirk etc. can make a huge difference. Particularly shadow details as created by returns and recesses can be very effective.

Latest posts

Back