Ideal Top For BBQ

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratkinsonuk

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just about to start building a new BBQ to compliment my revamped patio area :)

bbq_4.jpg

My problem is what to use for the 2 surfaces. I've had a look on ebay for granite and marble tops, but given distance, weight and cutting I've ruled those out.

I'll defintely need to cut 2 inserts out for the grills, so I'm thinking about buying the largest sandstone slabs I can get and using a 9" grinder to carve them up.

Anyone else built anything else like this?

Rob.

I don't fancy the look of shiny steel. We've managed to create a mediteranian feel to the patio, so it wouldn't really go.

What if I used a sealer on the sandstone first - the type you can seal brickwork with?

Rob.

Some of the imported Indian sandstones are very hard, treated with a stone sealer such as Lithofin there should not be too much of a problem with staining, My local heavyside merchant does the kotah black in very large slabs about 600x1200.

Jason

Just been chatting with a chap in Kent. He reckons slate would be best for the sizes required and intended use.

The bad news......including cutting, the 2 slabs come out at around £500, plus delivery !!!

Bear in mind that a lot of types of stone can splinter and shatter when exposed to high heat.

Looking at the actual design, it appears that you have left a gap (i'm assuming) for air to go under the edge at the front. There's a pretty good chance that while this will work for airflow it will also perform the same function but the otherway around ie letting hot ash out onto the worksurface. If its not under cover this ash may well become an ash slurry when it rains which will then run down the face of your lovely barbie. Maybe worth having the gap only at the back instead?

Cheers

Tim

Good spot, but not quite.

It's actually for a metal tray to slide under the coals which sit an inch or so above. Once the coals have burnt down and turned to ash, I can simply slide the tray out, and empty it into the bin.

Luckily, I know a local metal fabricators that have done various odd jobs for me, so getting the trays, grills, etc shouldn't be a problem.

Rob.

Have you thought about using a hearth stone from a fireplace? Depending on what you get, they can be relatively cheap.

I think we had this one in the living room at my last house...

link

Thanks for the ideas.

As I installed one of the B&Q hearths a few years ago, I should have picked up on this myself.

Unfortunately, even at the cheapest £59 hearth, I'd probably need at least 4 to make up the shelves, so we're back into the £250 arena. Given the possibility of me cracking one whilst cutting the inserts, this is still too expensive an option.

Rob.

Thought about quarry tiles? -good quality like say Ruabon ?. Mediterranean'ish I'd say?.

(No need to seal and withstand a lot of heat)

I've had a quick look around, but they don't seem to come in anything bigger that 300 x 300, so would need some kind of flame proof substrate.

I guess this takes me back to 'what substrate'?

Rob.

so would need some kind of flame proof substrate.

Will the top substantially overhang the hearth then. What's the thinking?Shouldn't the surface just butt up to or just slightly overhang the grille area?

Probably talking about a 5cm overhang, like this :-

bbq_6.jpg

I'd still be worried about any wood involved, apart from perhaps some hardwood trims around the outside edges for asthetics.

Rob.

OK then, how about a fabricated stainless steel top with upturn on outer edges and apertures. Set quarry or ceramic tiles flush in tray. Gives you a nice clean SS edge as an accent. And you can incorporate your rebate for the grills to sit in flush.

Digging around in my bag of stock answers I came up with...

Oh yes, concrete! You can cast it to exact size, complete with cutouts, then grind/polish the show surfaces and seal it.

OK, happy to give that a try.

Anyone got a 'Casting Concrete 101' that includes the optimum mix, how to include colours/patterns, what release agent to use, etc, etc?

Rob.

yes my first thought was concrete, I have seen some stunning concrete finishes for external use.

OK - "Concrete Countertops" ordered.... Has anyone here ever actually attempted this?

Aparently, this method of design was created by the author, Fu-Tung Cheng. I can see the second person ever to try this as 'ratkinson' from the UK :roll:

Back