I want a small dog to suiit my age and situation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read my previous post Gill and sorry, didn't mean to come on strong.

My missus has made a fuss of every mutt we've come across in Canada and that's a lot, apart from that my daughter sends photos of ours every other day - and she's still having withdrawal symptoms!

Hopefully not too many dogs on the ship next week, it' driving me nuts.

I am with the retired greyhound suggestions. They don't need much exercise but do like a run and preferably a settee in front of the fire. Also consider a lurcher, they come in all shapes and sizes and temperaments so you need to be select the right one. I took one on trial from a rescue home and he was absolutely lovely with people but had a very strong chase instinct and liked, as in wanting to catch them, our chickens and cats too much so he had to go back. I have two others at the moment and they are not bothered by cats or chickens.

LancsRick":36oe14jm said:
Short or long haired dachshund?

My mother had miniature long haireds. (and one wire, that we won't mention) They were stars ... and I say that, and the only small dog I'd give house room is a J.R. I rugby tackled a full grown English mastiff and threw her nose first into the gravel to stop her breaking the neck of one of them when the dachsie decided the mastiff shouldn't be there and attacked. Three weeks later they were inseperable. That particular puppy I ran over twice and broke her back both times - she recovered well (not my fault - she used to run under the car's back wheels when I drove past a gateway). When I win the lottery I will have my furniture made, grow apples and own English mastiffs, Dobermanns and Jack Russells (I've owned them before) - if two of them don't get you the other will. 8)

I remember dachshunds! Fritz was the name of one. He was the pet of 'Jane' of the Daily Mirror. So that maybe gives you a clue to my age!

I find them appealing little dogs, and they do amuse me when they are walking, but I still have a soft spot for the Jack Russell. :D

I have never met a small dog who I could interact with on the same level as a larger breed.
I feel you might feel this way after having a German shepherd.
My dogs don't do alone. maybe about twice a year for about two or three hours.
How far is the nearest rspca or other rescue shelter place, and would it be fees able to leave him there
or somewhere else in company?
In my experience, what nearly all dogs want is company, mental stimulation in a pack mentality
Exercise insist as important for most, often many dogs will substitute lack of company with exercise.
If you weren't far from a rescue place, you could talk to them and explain your situation.
There's usually a few foster volunteers in every place,
I'm a dog person and would have no bother doing this kinda thing, the more the merrier.
I am a bit weary of doing this, as I'm afraid of diseases in these places though.
My fellas getting on aswell, and need to give him all the attention I can.
Otherwise I would be covered in more dogs
I can't seem to understand why anyone here would dislike hairs, but not mind sawdust.
I think if you spent some time talking to some folks, you would have the best chance of finding a dog that's right for you.
A suitable rescue dog that knows "the other side" will be a faithful companion and not leave your side.
You could foster a dog with someone else, I'm sure there's some folks that cant foster the dog 24/7.
This kind of thing is getting more flexible with internet and such, It doesn't seem all that strange
Worth a shot, there's a lot of dogs that need company,
I would find it very rewarding to rehabilitate some dogs I came across, whilst looking for a companion for the ol boy.
This might help you.
Diet is a huge thing that's very complicated, if you do find a dog that is hypoallergenic
It is the most challenging thing in my book, everything else is a way of life
Hope you find what your looking for
Good luck
Tom

Back