I thought I knew what planing was....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CroppyBoy1798

Established Member
Reaction score
....... but boys, I knews nothing, that was until this little beaut arrived in the post this morning.

clifton1.jpg

Yes indeed my friends, you seen that magic word, 'Clifton', its a 5 1/2 and my god, it blows my old Records and Stanleys clean out of the water and send them running for the hills, then, gives them a sharp look, a cutting gesture and sends them off to the horizon!! Be gone you substandard planes, Clifton just rode into town with his polished trim, racing car green, and chunky blade :mrgreen:

clifton2.jpg

Seriously though, wow, what a hefty and impressive lump of engineering. Got this baby second hand (has a few little spots of surface rust, nothing that wont clean away) with a Lie Nielson sock for €158 (including post) thats £136 to you guys over there :p, which, I dont think is too bad at all for a plane that I would guess got very little use and certainly no abuse.

Gave it a quick (and I mean quick) sharpen earlier, but still had a decent edge and tried it on some maple.....wow, sailed through it and produced almost full width paper thin shavings, I couldnt believe it!! What I also couldnt believe was just how easy I was able to achieve almost perfectly falt edges and surfaces......almost without really trying!!!! :shock: Guess my planing technique was right afterall, just my planes werent really up to scratch?!

Guess its true what they say, if you want quality you have to pay for it, I'm really really delighted with my new toy........I fear however it may lead to other such branded planes!! :twisted:

I've just had a look at the prices for a new one, that's a seriously good deal! And for such good condition too!

I wish I had that sort of money, I'd love a decent plane like a Clifton or a Lie Nielsen... ooft, I think I need a sit down...

Anthony

The problem is that you are are now totally spoilt! :mrgreen:

You will now have to get the full set to be totally satisfied! :wink:

You have to realise that if you get involved with plane slopes...and you choose the black run...that ain't no nursery slope ya know! That's full of steep bits with the odd crevasse and avalanche along the way (both involving bank accounts!)

Good luck mate...I think I will stick with my tuned Stanleys and Records for the moment with a few trips down a steeper infill slope occasionally! 8)

Jim

I have to say my revelation came with my Veritas LAJ. However I find my Clifton No. 3 very nice to use too.

Cheers, Vann

Vann":3f2jwwyb said:
I have to say my revelation came with my Veritas LAJ.

Cheers, Vann
Same here and it's even better fitted with an O1 iron...I stay away from those nasty two piece cap irons :p - Rob

woodbloke":3n5onhtu said:
Same here and it's even better fitted with an O1 iron...I stay away from those nasty two piece cap irons :p
Yes I ordered mine from Canada with an O1 iron, although my 38 deg. iron is A2 as I bought that locally, and they don't stock the O1 irons in NZ.

You'd have a job fitting a two-piece cap-iron to your LAJ anyway Rob... (heading for the door)

Cheers, Vann.

I'm very envious, but as my bank account would not be very happy if i spent that sort of money on a plane, I find that getting an old and I mean OLD Stanlley or Record then fine tuning them, replacing the blade with a nice thick one and a heavy duty chip breaker, brings them up to nearly the same level as the Cliftons for use, and the most that has ever cost me was £60.00
But must admit a Cliffton would rock my boat too :lol:

Very well bought indeed. Just that little bit more weight and solidity ... that costs that lot more money, is well worth it it my experience.

If thats the difference a heavier iron/cap iron make then I'm definately picking up a few for my Records and Stanleys.

:)

*straps himself in, this slope looks incredibly steep from the top!! :shock: *

Well.... yerss.... really I meant the over all extra weight and solidity including that provided by the stonkingly good casting too. Now you're on this slope, no compromising [-X :)

I agree totaly that you get what you pay for when buying engineering or most things for that matter, but have to agree with dangermouse on this one and say for a hobby and something to do on these dark winter nights finding old planes to fettle and use for the odd little woodwork project is my way to go. I mainly have stanleys no4 and a 5 but would like a no3 next.

Never say never about one of those more expensive types though!
Craig

Glad you enjoy the Clifton.

I remember the first time i tried one and though "This is special" and now i have 3 clifton planes and wouldnt be without them, i just wish the Clifton range was alot bigger like Lie Nielsen and Verias.

Back