I think I need a table saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterSk

Established Member
Reaction score
How do

Stumbled upon this forum trying to research Axminster kit, seems like a good bunch of folk round here so I thought I'd float a question out there.

I'm in the business of making guitar amps, and as part of that business I need to make reasonably simple wooden boxes for the finished products to sit in.

I seem to have found a decent wood stock in those pre-made pine boards that some timber yards sell, however I'm sick of paying 20p for every cut that the yard make on their whizz-bang machine that seems more appropriate for cutting 8x4 than my rather small boards.

So I think I need to buy myself a table saw. Can folk recommend a decent one? Or alternatively suggest a better way of doing the job? My other thought was a workmate, circular saw and careful clamping of guide rails but that seems a little Heath Robinson...

theres nothing wrong with using a circular saw and a sled, but if you are doing a lot a tablesaw might be more convenient

however note that most of the cheap ones are rubbish (you want an induction motor ideally not a brush motor) so you are looking at circa 300 quid minimum (the axminster TS200 is well regarded as the cheapest decent TS, but that still needs some fettlling), so the question is are you likely to need 1500 cuts (which is the breakeven point,. not allowing for your time in making them)

Theres more to it than just a table saw, you need some clamps as well!

Where abouts are you in the world, always helps, you can visit people and see bits of kit in action.

I'm assuming I can fill in a profile somewhere, I skipped that bit when registering as I just wanted to post, however will fill in my particulars ASAP.

In the mean time, I'm based in Oxford.

I've got a fair few Solo g-cramps and think I may have to invest in an obscene number of f-cramps soon to beef up my router table, so I wouldn't expect clamps to be an issue

No room in my workshop for a table saw so I always reach for my Festool TS 55 Saw.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/festool-...-plunge-saw-and-1400mm-guide-rail-prod481364/
The best tool I have ever owned, used daily and is a pleasure to use.
1 Box would roughly equal 7 cuts, £1.40.
£1.40 divided by £544.95. So if you make more than 326 boxes then get it.
Of course you'll suddenly find you have the Festool Bug and you'll hate the day the catalogue lands in your hands.

Mreagleeyes":2zrol378 said:
Of course you'll suddenly find you have the Festool Bug and you'll hate the day the catalogue lands in your hands.

That is so true, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Jigsaw the new PS400 and a T15+3 I'm trying not too thou. I am getting a free cleaning kit and bought a CT22 today. :O

Hey Peter,
Welcome,
If you'd like someone to make the boxes for you give me a shout.
T

Don't get sucked into the Fesstool cabal, all a bit Emperor's new clothes.
T

TEO":bcddorgv said:
Don't get sucked into the Fesstool cabal, all a bit Emperor's new clothes.
T

I take it you don't use Festool tools. All my power tools are from them, they work everytime I ask them to, they take seconds to set up, they will do the same precise cut day in day out, there a pleasure to use and increase my work rate.
The price is not an issue, they make the best tools and can rightfully ask there prices. I have given up on DeWalt, Bosch, Makita (except the impact driver) & Metabo. I've had them all and always found myself double checking settings or checking something hadn't come loose.
We should be grateful for a company like Festool who spend so much on R&D and give us carpenters what we need.

I was of the same mindset as Theo, like how they can charge £70 for a hose, but then I got the domino, and its opened my eyes. All my powertools will eventually be green. I'm lucky I found out early on so all my tools are fairly cheap and easily replaced.

Back