I. Sorby 14" brass back tenon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
Yet another brass back acquisition :) Any idea of he date please?

isorbytenon.jpg

isorbystamp.jpg

Someone'll have to take a shot at dating it on features - the I. Sorby name was used by numerous companies between 1814 to 1963 (iirc). No Mr Punch mark though, which might narrow it down to pre-1870.

You do know that backsaw acquisition is an addiction and you may never recover, right? ;)

Alf":2iaelqlt said:
Someone'll have to take a shot at dating it on features - the I. Sorby name was used by numerous companies between 1814 to 1963 (iirc). No Mr Punch mark though, which might narrow it down to pre-1870.

You do know that backsaw acquisition is an addiction and you may never recover, right? ;)

Thanks for the info. ... I seem to just have caught the addiction :)

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/a-quid-at-the-car-boot-was-i-done-t49542.html
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/another-car-boot-1-brass-back-t50038.html

Ray Gardiner has a very useful site on backsaws that he maintains.
Here is a timeline from that site:
http://www.backsaw.net/timeline/

The London pattern - flat bottom saw handles started in 1700 but saw making in Sheffield not until the 1750's.
So there is a start for you. Somewhere between 1756 ish and 1870 from Alf's information.
Ray himself might be able to give you a more accurate date.
Very nice saw by the way.
Cheers
MC

Thanks very much for that information Martin.

Fascinating website Ray has put up, I will have a trawl and maybe contact him later.

RogerP":2es9dv6m said:
Thanks very much for that information Martin.

Fascinating website Ray has put up, I will have a trawl and maybe contact him later.

Are you planning to clean, tune and use these (nice!) saws?

BugBear

bugbear":29i1fdem said:
Are you planning to clean, tune and use these (nice!) saws?
BugBear

Yes I shall, sympathetically, just good enough to get them back into use. In fact it looks like the Sorby has recently been sharpened (probably professionally) and works very well as is.

It's interesting to compare all the "Sorbys"...there were quite a few!

Here is my "Robert" Sorby....

DSC_0001.JPG

...of the Kangaroo mark...

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

It's interesting to compare handles through the ages...there are some fine pieces of workmanship in these saws...

Lovely find Roger!

Jim

jimi43":3a1dqobt said:
It's interesting to compare all the "Sorbys"...there were quite a few!

Here is my "Robert" Sorby....

DSC_0001.JPG

...of the Kangaroo mark...

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

It's interesting to compare handles through the ages...there are some fine pieces of workmanship in these saws...

Lovely find Roger!

Jim

Sorry to jump in I was given a Rip saw by same manufacurer by a retiring Joiner, I converted it to a cross cut as had no real use for a Rip. I know I should be flamed but I was 16 and needed a crosscut as at the time cheap saws were not available and you had to sharpen your own or get it done for you. It has a funny wee lug at the point on top edge never quite understood its purpose.

What a magnificent resource.

Thank you Ray for the time and energy you have invested to collate and share your knowledge - it is greatly appreciated.

Here's my one and only Robt. Sorby (sorry not brass backed tenon). £3 ish on ebay. 24" blade. 7tpi. Similar marks to Jim's above, plus three crowns.
I've used it quite a bit. Can't feel any difference between straight back and skew back saws. I guess it's just fashion.
With this saw I found the reason for the nib, as follows: On my first go with it the thought came into my head "hang on a sec, how long is this saw? I don't want to bend it". At the same instant the nib hove into view with the answer.
I know there is a rumour that no one knows what the nib is for, but it's nonsense. It's very handy with a new or unfamiliar saw. Also useful for a beginner - if the nib isn't there then a dab of felt tip serves the same purpose.

sorbysaw3.jpg

sorbysaw2.jpg

sorbysaw1.jpg

What a beautiful saw Jacob!!

And a great price too! Goes to show that you can get some serious bargains on FleaBay!

Your explanation of "the nib" makes perfect sense too......

Lord...I will have to go and sit down now! :wink:

Jim

Jacob":3gru03jq said:
I know there is a rumour that no one knows what the nib is for

Well, there's an explicit statement in a Disston booklet.

Still, compared to the great Jacob Butler, what would Disston know of saws?

BugBear

bugbear":3pnvpj6i said:
Jacob":3pnvpj6i said:
I know there is a rumour that no one knows what the nib is for

Well, there's an explicit statement in a Disston booklet.

Still, compared to the great Jacob Butler, what would Disston know of saws?

BugBear
So whoever wrote the book didn't know. Very silly.
But I know - and now you know too! You can carry on pretending you don't know, if it pleases you.
What about the lump of wood with a hole in, at one end? Were you told officially what it was for, or work it out for yourself? Maybe you are still wondering? :lol: :lol:

PS "what would Disston know of saws?" - no doubt a great deal, but in this instance we are talking of something he apparently did not know about saws. Or was he going senile, was it a typo? Who knows, who cares?

That was one idea I never thought off as never had a problem withdrawing the saw in the up stroke. I cannot remember me on the down thrust ever bending the blade either. As it was a rip saw I thought it had more to do with saw kerf and keeping a clear a path as it was rip and was longer than normal saws. The tip configuration was in three parts stamped on top edge, a left and right angle meeting a upright pin. I also thought it was Sorby trade mark as not seeing it on other makes.

My Disston's never had such a thing though they were both crosscuts. My cheap throw away Jack/Sandvik, etc never had it. My other saws were Tyzack Tenon so totally different configuration.

The nib has been a bone of contention for some time, it has also been suggested that it is useful for clearing the waste from a kerf.

Personally I think it was a clever marketing ploy by disston to promote converation about their tools on te internet, that has certainly been the effect at any rate.

C'mon Guys (the gal ist grown up enough to don't take part)
don't let this wonderful thread with beautiful saws die in a nib discussion.

Repress yourself! There is nothing new one could add to that discussion.
Everything is said, every joke is made.
If you really can't hold it, open a new thread.

Please.

Pedder

Edit:
The truth is: it is a fashion thing. :lol: :lol:

Back