I settled on my bench design but...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I finally settled on a bench design.
The one I have, is 9 feet long and it takes up space I can't spare. I am going for 6 feet and to save even more space I want hold-fasts instead of a tail vice. (Never had one anyhow, so...)

I have seen the simple swan-neck hold-fasts, which look ideal. The problem is I can't find a supplier,. Google sends me only to 'Acme-thread' type hold-fasts.

Does anyone use them?
Are they in supply or will I need to find a Blacksmith?
Are they really as useful as they are made out to be?

Thanks folks

John

Chris Schwarz swears by them in his "Workbenches" book. I do recall from somewhere that not all of them are the same - depending on the metal used they are more or less effective/easy to use. Veritas do some, so maybe one of their distributors may stock them? So far, I make do with a Wonder Dog and F clamps.

Boz

Edit: Beat me Mick!

John, if you're only using them on the bench top then you could try using ordinary quick-grip clamps. All I've done here is taken the heads off and reattached them below the top. These bars just slide in through a 19mm hole.

4256796031_1d8cea3cda.jpg

Otherwise, I bought a big old Record thing that I may be willing to part with (I bought it on eBay last year but, I've never got around to fitting it... It might need a collar to sit in the bench top).

John, i have just had some made by a blacksmith ,they cost me £50 for 4,they are fantastic and make me smile each time i use them as they are so simple.I think the main consideration is that the bench top needs to be around 3" thick although they work reasonably in the deadman which is 2".

10hlzk2.jpg
[/img]

Thanks everyone for the input..

I had thought about an American type pipe-cramp, suitably adapted.
Considered using the quick release cramps (I have two cheapo examples, but the pressure pads have parted company with the threads.)

But I want to get away from the threaded hold-fast altogether, so I settled on the swan-neck.

As it happens, I never used hold-fasts at all. Everywhere I worked you used a 'G' cramp and the edge of the bench. I just feel the hold-fasts offer more options, and the 'knock-in variety save time, which I am running out of, like it or not!

So it looks like Grammercy or similar. If there's no UK stockist, then I'll trot along to the Black-Country Museum and see the Chain-maker there. :D

Thanks again folks.
Another problem sorted. Good 'ere innit?

John :)

I can personally vouch for the Grammercy ones. I bought a couple, one for MarkW and the other went to TheTiddles as a secret santa present. I'm still gutted I gave them away! They work beautifully and are a joy to behold. Needless to say I need to get around to ordering another one. Don't buy the cheap cast ones, MarkW managed to snap the top off his with little effort!

wizer":19c0idcz said:
I can personally vouch for the Grammercy ones. I bought a couple, one for MarkW and the other went to TheTiddles as a secret santa present. I'm still gutted I gave them away! They work beautifully and are a joy to behold. Needless to say I need to get around to ordering another one. Don't buy the cheap cast ones, MarkW managed to snap the top off his with little effort!

Thanks for that Tom.
I suppose I should grit my teeth and hope the order slips in under 'Darling's radar'. :(
Thanks again.
John

If you've got access to a friendly blacksmith, it makes zero sense to ship hunks of steel across the Atlantic, doesn't it? :-s

It's the design I want, rather than the make alone, so if the chainmaker can make me at least one pair that I can try, then I'll give them a go. (I'll probably have to polish them myself!)

Should they not work out, I'll go with your recommendation Tom. Were you thinking of doubling an order?

John

It did cross my mind John. But I just did the maths. I think it will work out around £40 for a pair without customs charges and then postage to me. Could end up being £50+ Little over my budget at the moment. N'Mind.

Yep.... A bit heavy for me too! Maybe the Blacksmith will get the job after all!
Cheers Tom..

Thanks Alf.. As ever you are right of course, and they might wind up being even better!
Cheers folks

Another big thumbs up here for the Gramercy ones, the onw Tom gave me is superb and one of the best tools I own - use it all the time and will definitely be getting more later this year when I build my new bench. The Veritas stuff is good but long winded to use and overpriced IMO. Avoid the the cast Dakota one's (I got mine from Dieter Schmid who don't appear to sell them anymore, they are brittle and break quite easliy.

If anyone does find a blacksmith who can do them I imagine there'd be interest in a group buy here (at the right price). I've never come across a local blacksmith around here.

Yes of course, why didn't I think of that ;)

So are they made in any special type of metal? The ones that Squib posted look different to the grammercy ones in that they are dark black like wrought iron. Whereas the grammercy ones are a light grey steel.

I don't mind looking into this for everyone if there are enough of us interested? Say 5 people interested in a pair each?

I don't know about the metal Tom, other than it can't be too hard of course.

Thinking about the chain-maker, the amount of abuse chain comes in for, I should think that type of material is good.

I am going to trust the Blacksmith on this one. I'll tell him exacxtly what I need, and trust he should know what to use.
I'll keep you posted.

Back