I need your opinion on a new pen turning acrylic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this new material for pen turnings

• I like it very much

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like it

• I am indiferent

• I don't like it at all

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

La Truciolara

Established Member
Reaction score
I need your opinion on that synthetic acrylic material created for pen turnings. As many ask for new aspects I have had made several samples and that is the first of series of trials and if you like it I will probably ask you for the others.
Your opinion will be very suefull for me, and I thank you all in advance for your answer.
Have a nice sunday
The model used for the pen is “Europe”.

Hi, I have made some pens in acrylic, but can't make up my mind whether I prefer it to wood, or other materials. It is certainly not that easy to work, but I do like some of the effects you get on some blanks. I would use it again, but only the blanks with the unusual effects you can get.

Don't really know about the pen you show, can't tell whether it is a bronze colour, or light reflection is distorting it. As above my criteria would simply be the over all effect, if it looked different I would probably use it, but I still prefer wood.

Sorry can't offer an opinion on the use of acrylics for pens Claud.

I am relatively new to pen turning but a governing factor in the sale of the bulk of mine is that they are made in wood from a specific source so have not had a need to use alternate materials.

claude, i have made and sold a lot of acrylic pens as well as wood, and found that if its acrylic, they like the bright colours, a friend of mine casts his own so if you want a catalog in pdf file just pm me. regards colin.

Claude.
I like the pen looks very stylish,but me been a traditional sort,i would prefer turning,using and seeing a wooden pen.
Accrylics are just like what you can buy in a shop and all look the same.
With a nice figured/coloured wood they are all totally different and unique.
Just my thoughts.
Paul.J.

Thank you very much to all four of you for your very interesting comments.
Let us see how it evolves, but I'm sure that most would say they prefer wood pen (as I do myself).
How ever your comments are very useful and I thank all of you again for having taken time to share them with me.

I don't turn pens but I must admit I don't really see the point in turning plastic ones when you an buy them in a shop. Wooden pens look better, feel better and are obviously handmade. What you have looks good but not my cup of tea (or glass of wine?)

Pete

I prefer wood pens but acrylic etc pens seem to outsell wood at craft fairs.

john

All of the pens to date that i have made have all been wood. I think that wood wins every time, but a lot of people like the Acrylic because of the bright colours. I did how ever buy some Acrylic blanks yesterday, just to have a go for myself.

I also bought 1 Flat Top Twist Pen Kit and 1 Regency Twist Pen. If i could get some help from someone it would help. No instructions with the first one mentioned and just the usual lay out diagram with second.
The Regency kit has 2 tubes 60mm one for nib end and 54mm one for clip end but 60mm tube fits inside the 54mm tube yet both have to be drilled 8mm?

Don't want to hijack this tread so it might get moved to new post

shedhead, if you post a link, or tell us where you got the kits from we may be able to help you. as different retailers call them different kits

Its okay i went back to local shop. Got help there. Thanks for your interest greggy. I thing the pen kits are from, Craft Supplies as i recognize the code on the packets. FTP = Flat Top Pen, and code on Regency pen is IB652D.
Not to worry go it sorted now.

I do know you prefer to turn wood, and so do I. However, as the market ask for acrylics as well, and that often we find some quite flashy I was thinking to the potential customers who might prefer something more “conventional”.
Here is another material.
For the top pen I used the entire “satin pearl” Kit, while for the lower one I tuned the top end with the same material.
Could I know your impressions.
Many thanks in advance and I apologise to bore you with acrylics but your views are quite important to me.

claude, those pens are nice, i also like the way you matched the top (finial ). how and what is the finish you applied. well done. :D

john, satin pearl is the finish on the pen hardware, i.e. clip, centre band, nib, etc etc not the body.

greggy":2regfidq said:
claude, those pens are nice, i also like the way you matched the top (finial ). how and what is the finish you applied. well done. :D
For the finish I make a mixture of very fine abrasive and wax which serves as lubricant

greggy":2iu9j99t said:
john, satin pearl is the finish on the pen hardware, i.e. clip, centre band, nib, etc etc not the body.

:oops: Its obvious once you know :oops:

john

Latest posts

Back