I need a hep with a book

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a "Time Team" programme on the box a few weeks ago excavating the site of the first Jamestown (first settlement in the USA).
It seems that the carpenters came from East Anglia (Suffolk etc) and the style of timber construction traced back to a small village (sorry cannot remember the name?) where examples from that period still survive.
From that they could name the actual people who had been involved.
Must have been a restless or adventurous lot these East Anglians?

Rod

Paul

As a fairly avid reader - Forester, Pope, Cornwell, Kent and Reeman, O'Brien, etc etc - of the napoleonic gamut, and a bit before too I guess, and quite a bit after too come to think of it, IMHO Mallinson is well worth the read. Not so much in a class of his own as some of the above on occasion, but well up there with the leaders.

engineer one":1azf4ogz said:
as for weights you have pounds, and ounces.
Bring back rods, poles, grains and perches, I say :wink:
engineer one":1azf4ogz said:
wellington's main complaint in the war was that more money was made and spent at headquarters than on the equipment supplied to his soldiers.
Plus ça change...plus ça change

I've given it up now, but I used to do quite a bit of hedgelaying at one time.
Always amazed the (younger) clients that I could look down a long field line & guess quite accurately its length in yards.

The trick is most fields are in 22 yard (a chain) multiples and its easy to guessimate a number of chains.

On a good day on a good hedge, I could lay a chain on my own.

Hi Slim Shavings

Bet you wish you'd never asked now :lol: :lol:

Just in case you were wondering the simple answer to your question (Well the main one anyway) is:-

The 'pounds' refered to in your book are units of money not weights.

Quite an interesting thread but way off topic :roll:

Shultzy that would be wickets (3 stumps & 2 bails)

Slim,
Do you need a teach-in on the rules of Cricket?(see above)
This is a real mans game, not like Baseball (we call that rounders & only girls play it) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, lurker, you wouldn't mind if some rounders players who are 'only girls' popped round and introduced the back of your skull to their bats (hammer) ?

Alf, I've got a job for you :wink: !

Gill

"Only" girls? If you'd spent as many cold afternoons as I have cowering behind a hockey stick or one of those lacrosse net things while some ghastly energetic "gals" thunder down the pitch towards you looking for blood, well I agree you'd be well advised not to get involved. But I think even blokes could cope with the hurly burly of a game of rounders, if we promised to tone down the aggression a bit. Probably have to let you win too, I suppose... :roll: :wink:

Cheers, Alf

:oops: :oops: :oops:

The moment I pressed the submitt button, this cold shiver ran down my spine :lol: :lol: :lol:

I ain't sexist - Honest! (SWMBO wouldn't allow it!)

have to say my personal take was that the yanks modified rounders like they modified rugby to stop getting hurt :twisted: :lol:
interesting that the canadians have these funny sports like lacrosse and ice hockey and smash hell out of each other, but the yanks seem to like long games with a short rush, then a long rest, and a lot of padding.

having said that though i knew a couple of ex american footballers who had worse injuries than we used to get falling off motorbikes :?

our cricketers and footballers are the same, the more care they supposedly take with their fitness, the more they get injured. :roll:

anyway who wants to get back on message :lol: :twisted:

paul :wink:

dunno if I'm on or off topic here :p but yep I'm with ALF and a few otheres here, that BC writes fantastic books his Warlock series is good but what grabbed me when I was still wearing green :oops: was SHARPE, reading how then the ordinary grunt was shafted by the HQ made me smile.In fact it makes me smile with wry humour again as I type this. Nowt changes in the MOD oras it was know back then Whitehall. I'm sure the people working there are still the same :p :twisted:
As to CSF books - which put the Naval side of the Napolinic wars - again some of the writing makes one cringe at the sound of oak splintering and whistling past ones ear :shock: , just thinking of all those mature oaks being felled to make the best navy in the world , makes me proud but also sad that we as woodworkers will rarely ever see timber of the same quality again.
( unless it's French oak - courtesy of Napolian who made it law that the French farmers had to plant 1 oak for each1/10th heactare they owned thus making Fr. oak the best available now )

thats it I need a malt ttfn

HS STILL unpacking tool boxes in OF

totally off subject but years ago in a house i was working on we found an 1805 copy of the Times, with reports from the battle of Trafalgar.

pink copy in those days, and the detail of people being left on the decks in pieces was amazing. so forester was not far off the mark with some of his accuracy.

sadly like all these things, we forgot to gather it up, and collect it :cry:

paul :wink:

Back