I have another problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Chucked out six pairs of trousers this morning, they don't fit anymore.

How does an oldy get his weight down, he cannot cope with too much exercise, two slices of toast for breakfast, one course dinner and another couple of slices tea time. Given up beer and wine.

Two hours computering a day, shopping twice a week and no workshop experiences until next spring.

Get down the local Gym two/three times a week. That may not actually loose weight in itself but it will up your fitness level encouraging you to be more active which will help burn the calories off.

Or get yourself a reasonable cross trainer and decent floor mat at home and spend a couple of 1 hr. sessions a week on those.

Mind you, you won't see an instant cure, it takes months not days.

Get yourself a little dog DW you will enjoy taking it for walks and it will love you no matter what shape you are :lol:

From some of your posts you do appear to eat well. :lol:

What you need to do is balance the caleory intake against your current activities.

Being in the process of recovering from a back injury, I have learn't that as long as your core muscles are strong your back shouldn't go as a result of sensible exercise.

I've managed to lose 3 stone since January, whilst having two prolapsed discs. One thing the physio did advise was plenty of walking.

Gary":13wuod34 said:
From some of your posts you do appear to eat well. :lol:

What you need to do is balance the caleory intake against your current activities.

Being in the process of recovering from a back injury, I have learn't that as long as your core muscles are strong your back shouldn't go as a result of sensible exercise.

I've managed to lose 3 stone since January, whilst having two prolapsed discs. One thing the physio did advise was plenty of walking.

But - Start slowly and work your way up. This is a lifestyle change that will need to be maintained for the rest of your life so there is no need to rush and injure yourself or worse still hate every minute.

Mick

devonwoody":325yi8y9 said:
Then my back wil go Chas. :) :cry:

As Gary says, if you do the exercises correctly and sensibly then you strengthen your core muscles. It just takes a little longer to do so if your working round a weak spot. All joints will take unnecessary load if the associated muscles are not working to their optimum and supporting them.

The comment on watching what you eat is also very valid, one small very enjoyable indian meal can see you storing more fat than the rest of the weeks meals. You just shut your eyes to the scales for a couple of days until it's dissipated again.

Do some weight training with free weights concentrating on compound exercises. It won't make u thinner but it will increase your functional strength and lean mass which might be more important at your age.

Hi,

Its the amount you eat but the calories in what you eat, toast and butter will have more calories than cornflakes and skimmed milk

Pete

Thanks to all, only one place for a flat walk in Torbay and doggies are not allowed there these days.

You are all correct of course.

devonwoody":or9ztqim said:
Thanks to all, only one place for a flat walk in Torbay and doggies are not allowed there these days.

You are all correct of course.

Swimming is your best course of exercise, very easy on your body, but very effective for burning off the calories.

if you can't swim then you can do water aerobics in which you stay in the shallow end at all times.

mark270981":1q1fucdc said:
Swimming is your best course of exercise, very easy on your body, but very effective for burning off the calories.

if you can't swim then you can do water aerobics in which you stay in the shallow end at all times.

+1 for swimming. If you can't swim, odds are your local council will be running Adult swimming classes.- http://www.swimtorquay.com/Lessons/

I only learnt to swim 6 yrs ago. Nowadays it's a 1 mile in about 40 mins and a resting heartbeat down from 140'ish to about 60. Not to mention almost slipping into 32" pants, which I haven't been in since a teenager!

Swimming is low impact\strain on the body, unless you start sprinting, in which case there is soreness later, but I think you'll be OK. :wink:

For retired folk - the is a reduction on the entrance fees as well. Take her Ladyship along - might enjoy it!

HIH

Dibs

Urgh, I am going off this post :cry:

How about this then, got changed this afternoon (to go and wash the car after a flood ride yesterday) and guess what I found I had put my old trousers on inside out and it was only when I got to the buttoning part I reaslised there was a problem. :wink:

:shock:

Must be spreading. Yesterday I put my t shirt on back to front, thought 'that don't feel all that comfortable' , took it off, turned it round and put back on again... inside out. Three goes to put on a T shirt.... not good.

that used to be a regular sunday morning occurrance for me, but now i don't drink so thats me back to normal.

studders":14q4hato said:
Yesterday I put my t shirt on back to front, thought 'that don't feel all that comfortable' , took it off, turned it round and put back on again... inside out. Three goes to put on a T shirt.... not good.

Don't worry, Studders - give it a few more years and you won't even be able to remember where you left your T-shirt....... :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2pjr53vt said:
give it a few more years and you won't even be able to remember where you left your T-shirt......

Paul

I've started early on 'forgetting things'.

Just the other day, getting my jacket on prior to making my way down to the workshop....

'Don't forget to take the rubbish down with you.....'

'Don't forget to take the Rubbish down with you......'

'Do NOT forget.... take the rubbish with you...'

Get to the Workshop......

'Hmmmm, I was supposed to do something on the way down here, now what was it?'

:oops:

That's just one of many.

Back