I have a website!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Night Train

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally my website is up and running.

A friend did it for me and has decided to make it live today. There may still be a few minor errors to it and we are frantically proof reading and spotting changes and improvements but at least it is live.

http://www.eversleyhouse.org.uk

Now I can get my business cards and leaflets made with the right web address on and start transfering my contacts to my new email.

I didn't realise how much effort it takes to achieve a simple site and I still have more images to prepare and some titles to write for each image.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thank you.

slemishwoodcrafts":3lk8m0if said:
wow looks really good!! i can only aspire to produce something like that.
Thank you. Did you mean the website or my work?

The lamp has a flex, it is the wiggly white thing between it's legs. In the original design I was going to route a grove in one of the legs to hide a thin flex in it but the weight of the rest of the flex made the lamp difficult to keep still on a smooth surface and it kept dragging the leg off the edge of the table. The flex in the centre doesn't look as good, especially in white, but it works a lot better.

Hi Alfred
Excellent craft , classy , smooth , and slick site . Will be keeping an eye on on it . Cheers !

Nice easy to navigate site. The thing i find offputting however is the watermarks on the pictures.

Cheers

Jon

Very nice website there NT. I like it. The watermarks realy don't bother me tbh.

Just a small point: The furniture section does not have the prompt "click NEXT to continue the slideshow" and the "next" button.

I too don't like the watermarks. There is another way (not that I know how it is done) to protect the pictures as used on the ordnance survey website. You can look at maps but not cut and paste them.

Otherwise a nice little website

Good Luck

Bob

That looks really good! It has a professional look about it, but the first-person perspective of your home page and descriptions gives it a more approachable feel.

Just make sure your tech guy is thinking about search engine rankings etc. There a few good threads on here with lots of advice on that.

JonnyD":zy2pret5 said:
Nice easy to navigate site. The thing i find offputting however is the watermarks on the pictures.

Cheers

Jon

would not have noticed them if you hadn't mentioned it,

Jim

Thank you.

The watermarks are a pain but it was the best quick fix we could come up with. We are looking at other ways of protecting images.

The slideshows will advance with a click on the left and right sides of the image to do previous and next but I will will get Euan to have a look in case he missed something out.

I will also need to move some of the images around group the jewellery and ornaments better, same with the joinery too.

Brad, I'm not sure I will be much competition to be honest. A little work would be enough for me especially now I am teaching again.

Nice site. Some thoughts which I hope are perceived as constructive...

When I click on to "My Work" the first thing I want to see is some of your work. I would replace your pic with a pictures of each type of work which replicate the links in the left-hand side.

Also... I'm not a great fan of the pop-up slideshows. On one hand I accept that they look quite slick but on the other they are an extremely cumbersome way to quickly show someone what you do (I didn't bother looking at all the pics in any of the slideshows as it was taking too long). I would have a page of thumbnails for each area that I can quickly scroll up and down and open the pics of most interest to me - once opened I can go back and forth in a slideshow if I want or simply close the window and select another thumbnail to open. The latter also covers you when a visitor has a script blocker (which stops your slideshow working).

On the topic of copy protecting images...

One approach often taken is to disable right clicking on the site. Several people do this but I'd advise against it. I think it makes the sites appear tacky somehow, but more than that it's an annoyance that removes some legitimate functionality and it is completely trivial to get the pictures anyway.
So don't do that.

Another option is to have the pictures as part of a flash slideshow.
As far as the site visitor's browser and computer are concerned the slideshow is a single image and the shots can't just be saved individually.
However that would mean a rather large overhaul of some of the site and can be worked around using the Print Screen button that comes free with every keyboard and about 30 seconds in MS Paint or some other image software.

One that MIGHT work is to use mouse-overs. Have an unwatermarked image which is replaced with a watermarked one whenever someone puts their mouse pointer over the image.
It would mean the website took longer to load though, and that's not a good thing.

Another one that might be possible (not sure if it is, but it's a thought and one for web developers, not me) is to cover each image with a second, completely transparent image. That way if the user clicked and dragged, right clicked or anything else they wouldn't get anything more than a blank (well, transparent) image. That still wouldn't stop screen-shotting though.

The brutal reality is that if you don't want your pictures (of anything, family, work, general photography, fine art - anything) using without your knowledge (let alone your permission) for everything from dishonest means, through personal websites all the way to commercial adverts and news publications - DON'T put it online.
There really isn't a foolproof way to stop people using the images for reasons you don't know about.

I've even seen an example of someone taking a high quality, watermarked image (this was some digital artwork, and very good at that) - spent time and effort to remove the watermark and restore the image to full glory - and then claimed it as their own.

So, the above are your options, all have their drawbacks and all (including watermarking) can be worked around, from the simple action of dragging to the desktop, to screenshots, to time in Photoshop or GIMP.

Finally, some nice work on the website. I agree with slemishwoodcrafts though, I don't see a cable on the 4 legged lamp. If you go to image 4 in that gallery there's a good shot of the lamp put the flex is nowhere to be seen! How have you managed that?

The ONLY way to properly protect an image is to use a watermark. All other routes have short cuts.

Personally I would not bother protecting images. What's the point? Someone else claiming your work as theirs? So what?

Where the image is the product then that's a different matter but in most situations it simply isn't really worth the bother.

And, with patience, you can get round watermarks too (not my best work but 10mins)...
furniture.jpg

Thanks for the input.

I know protecting images is a real pain and that most methods can be got around but I feel that something is better then nothing at all.

I will have a chat with Euan about it to see if he can improve or find other methods but so far all the methods that Bigshot has described have been discussed already. Sadly not showing images isn't an option when it is often the image of the work that forms the basis of the website.

I will have a think about the thumbnail selections too, that was my original intention so may be we should revist that and see how it can be reincorporated to the site.

I found it a pain looking for an image near the end of a slideshow as there is no 'prev' button on the first image to go backwards.

The lamp flex. I didn't realise there was a slideshow on that page with the image in. :oops: That was a really early image where I didn't have a flex on the lamp. There is another image in 'Ornaments and Boxes' of it with a white flex.

Thanks for your input.

Totally off topic,

But i used to work at KwikSave in Eccles, before it was demolished for the Morrisons..................

Ah - memories...............

I'm sure I recognise some of the pieces or some very similar. Are you exhibiting some in a small gallery in Clitheroe at the moment?

Back