I finally found....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
....a use for farrow and Ball water based paint. I used to love the oil based eggshell but just can't get on with the new.

Anyway, whilst I am rebuilding the workshop, the wood deliveries continue. Some nice looking chestnut to add to what used to be my woodpile but is now my wife's tidy pile of wood!!! Like most things, I used to know exactly which part of the pile I had left stuff. Now its anybody's guess! Under there is all my precious yew, cherry and walnut. Miscellaneous items seem to have crept in too. This is what happens if you spend too long away from home.

Attachments

• 100_3178.jpg
    100_3178.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 924
  • 100_3179.jpg
    100_3179.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 924
Blister":3c1dhcr1 said:
Thats cheating

You are supposed to turn the wood before putting a finish on it :?

:mrgreen:

Ah well, I'm famous for my short cuts.

We've seen some fascinating places that we would never have planned to go to otherwise :D

Gordon,

You obviously find that water based paint works as an end seal. I have used domestic water based paints such as Dulux, Crown etc and find that the pieces split just as much as those I have never got around to sealing. Any thoughts?

Mike

henton49er":27p55wvv said:
Gordon,

You obviously find that water based paint works as an end seal. I have used domestic water based paints such as Dulux, Crown etc and find that the pieces split just as much as those I have never got around to sealing. Any thoughts?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Basically, I just use anything I have to hand. I'm not sure if it makes any difference if the paint is water or oil based. Ideally, it should be PVA I think but thats an expensive way of doing it which is why the old tins of paint come in handy. I haven't had huge problems with splitting, no matter what I use. The wood is stored in the barn attached to the house, in reasonably dark conditions and it stays cool during the summer and is a bit damp.

In fact, some of the yew that was cut last year and has been part used and then left unsealed where cut, hasn't split either so maybe its the ideal conditions in the barn rather than my efforts.

Short cuts,

short arms,

deep pockets,

any way to get around sorting out wood piles,

8 weeks in a rest home!

Met your type before mate :twisted: :twisted:

He he he! We met up with a friend who had a knee replacement 6 weeks bak and after a week in dock had 5 weks in a re-education place like wot you did and yesterday and the day before she had walked a MILE each day!

Well done to the BOTH of you =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Back on thread.

Years back I got a bag of parafin wax pellets from our beloved Axminster. I blagged an old likkle sauspan and chucked a slack handful in it and when I want to seal the ends of me bits ( :oops: ) I sort out my likkle camping stove and melt some along with the wax solid brush and slap it one said ends. After using loads I still have what seems like more than I started with and it works a treat. I was going to say "just like a chocolate covered peanut", but there must be 'several' folks on here wot don't know wot Treats were?

Jonzjob":1ybbamqt said:
Short cuts,

short arms,

deep pockets,

any way to get around sorting out wood piles,

8 weeks in a rest home!

Met your type before mate :twisted: :twisted:

Not sure about the deep pockets bit. If they were, I wouldn't be installing my own kitchen or doing building work - me with a bad back an' all. Can but dream.

Latest posts

Back