I can't wait for the review!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

Established Member
Reaction score
so when is the new review of the LV small plow plane coming from the tool goddess herself, Alf.

frankly, i can't wait :D

my first experience on this site was her tool reviews (she convinced me to want a LV low angle jack) and even now the planes on my wish list at Lee Valley are guided by her wisdom and wit =D>

never has one person been so responsible for so many sliding down such a steep slope :tool:

anxiously yours: :roll:
sparky

I don't know when Alf will be ready with her review, but I did try one last Saturday...

I made a passing comment about it in another thread, and I've been amazed that no one picked up on it :shock:

So, what do you want to know? :lol:

DC

im just interested to learn more about it, in use especially.

my desire for a review is more for entertainment purposes than informative ones. i really do enjoy her tool reviews.

im fairly confident that sooner or later this plow plane will end up in my shop (because i have wanted a plow plane for a while) but i still look forward to the review. they are some of my favorite things to read. not sure what that says about me :oops:

the only thing that i have ever disagreed with her about is the tote on the LV planes...i love them. the older style totes (as on the LN) give me blisters but the LV are great and i never had any issue with the look of the planes. in fact i like the LV router plane as more attractive than the LN.

but that is just my opinion :roll:

sparky

Well, I'll leave the entertainment and detailed analysis to Alf :lol:, and I will summarize my short encounter with the plane like this:

It works very, very well. But it's not cheap (as in inexpensive). But then again, there is nothing else to compare it to in the current offerings from manufacturers, so it's hard to judge...

DC

Alf seems to have gone very quiet these last few weeks - have we upset her?

I thought she might have responded to my query about names on planes - but nothing? :(

Come back Alf

Rod :cry:

dchenard":2j7gdgk7 said:
Well, I'll leave the entertainment and detailed analysis to Alf :lol:, and I will summarize my short encounter with the plane like this:

It works very, very well. But it's not cheap (as in inexpensive). But then again, there is nothing else to compare it to in the current offerings from manufacturers, so it's hard to judge...

DC

You might this idea helpful:

http://nika.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswi ... =1#message

BugBear

Sparky

Philly is going to do a review of the LV small plough plane and compare it with the LN one, not sure when but I think its imminent.

I have the LN and find it invaluable for those little jobs like hinges recesses.

It will be interesting so see the difference between LN & LV, myself I'm sure either one would be an excellent addition to the workshop.

Waka":2uvpa6cg said:
Sparky

Philly is going to do a review of the LV small plough plane and compare it with the LN one, not sure when but I think its imminent.

I have the LN and find it invaluable for those little jobs like hinges recesses.

It will be interesting so see the difference between LN & LV, myself I'm sure either one would be an excellent addition to the workshop.

LN make a plough plane???/ - is that so??? - or do you mean Router Plane

Hi -

We have exactly one fully functional pre-production model... it's the fence that we're waiting on.... the other parts are all in various stages of production as I type...

The fence we have was hand cast directly from a plastic model, and we did just the one...

So - the one plane we have is making a number of rounds...and will be headed across the pond soon (but not to Alf just yet)...

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":1khxh688 said:
Hi -

We have exactly one fully functional pre-production model... it's the fence that we're waiting on.... the other parts are all in various stages of production as I type...

The fence we have was hand cast directly from a plastic model, and we did just the one...

So - the one plane we have is making a number of rounds...and will be headed across the pond soon (but not to Alf just yet)...

Cheers -

Rob

Geez Rob, thanks for not telling me, had I known this was the only working sample my blood pressure would have gone through the roof the whole day!

People liked it quite a bit, BTW...

DC

I had a go with the LV Plow last weekend at Denis' event and I found it good,,,, for the few minutes I used it and held it. A wood fence is probably something I would add early on for even better registration.

Norman (Ottawa)":2idf2s59 said:
I had a go with the LV Plow last weekend at Denis' event and I found it good,,,, for the few minutes I used it and held it. A wood fence is probably something I would add early on for even better registration.

And much lower friction, especially with Lignum Vitae :)

record43groover004.JPG

BugBear

Rob Lee":2p14qq5j said:

Ahhh ... that explains it. I was looking at the fence (I gave it a fair workout) and noticed an odd lattice pattern that looked very much like what a "solid" surface looks like out of a 3D printer, but tapping and 'hefting' the fence, it was clear that it was not a 3D printer product. Now I know why I was confused :) It is reasonably obvious now; sure you could make a lost-wax kinda mold with one of the models.

Paul Kierstead":8c70bv61 said:
Ahhh ... that explains it. I was looking at the fence (I gave it a fair workout) and noticed an odd lattice pattern that looked very much like what a "solid" surface looks like out of a 3D printer, but tapping and 'hefting' the fence, it was clear that it was not a 3D printer product. Now I know why I was confused :) It is reasonably obvious now; sure you could make a lost-wax kinda mold with one of the models.

Exactly.... you were holding a fence that cost several hundred dollars...! :shock:

Just for interest - we just bought one of these:
http://www.cimetrixsolutions.com/3dprinters.elite.htm

Kinda cool... just print off the parts you need.... 8)

Cheers -

Rob

Paul Kierstead":3q8q1uj3 said:
Rob Lee":3q8q1uj3 said:
Just for interest - we just bought one of these:
http://www.cimetrixsolutions.com/3dprinters.elite.htm

Kinda cool... just print off the parts you need.... 8)

Very neat; that should help shorten the design process. Now what ya need is one which does it in wax (better version of http://www.bathsheba.com/sculpt/process/prototype.html) just send em straight out to a small scale casting facility for fully functional items.

Yep - that or weld deposition 3d printers...

BugBear

Print me off a depth stop for my #78 would you, Rob? [-o< :lol:

Sparky, sorry, reviewing and I are as strangers these days. Pretty sure Rob would be happier if I kept it that way 'cos the plough looks too much like them modern Stanleys and Records for the aesthetic comments to be entirely complimentary... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Back