I am looking for design ideas for a new Tablesaw fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I am going to make a new fence for my Schepach TS2500
I want to incorporate an adjustable hold down mainly but am looking for ideas.

I have trawled through the jig and tips but didnt find anything - have also done some googling but not found much yet.

any ideas or tips would be appreciated as I usually go steaming in and build jigs and then think "I should have done that! why didn't I think of it " some time later lol

thanks

Mike

The hold-down is for the fence on the sliding table, I assume?

Are you sure you need one? I ask because I've had sliding table saws for quite a while now and never felt the need, especially with the type where the fence is nearest the operator. Are you finding the stock moves as you run it through the saw?

Lord Kitchener":3rfy4h6c said:
The hold-down is for the fence on the sliding table, I assume?

Are you sure you need one? I ask because I've had sliding table saws for quite a while now and never felt the need, especially with the type where the fence is nearest the operator. Are you finding the stock moves as you run it through the saw?

No actually its for the main fence.
I often find thin sheet material lifting on the blade and also would like the anti kickback security of a hold down.
I have an overhead type of guard which doesn't really have any downforce to hold the stock.

thanks

Mike

brihol":1752tvk5 said:
One of my regular reads is the website of the Canadian woodworker, Matthias Wandel, who made a hold-down for the pantorouter he designed:
http://woodgears.ca/clamps/holddown.html

Brian

Thanks thats a nice little hold down. I might make one of those for another job !
and I love this guys Pantograph !!! have you made one :shock:

it's obvious now that i'm calling this thing by the wrong name :oops:
I sort of mean a featherboard type of "Hold down" that the stock slides under

what i'm thinking is that when i make my new fence it would be handy to have an adjustable 'featherBoard' to keep the stock on the table.

thanks

Mike

joiner_sim":3hn2eq6a said:
What you want is a shaw guard, like those used on a spindle moulder. At this link: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis17.pdf it shows the shaw guard renamed "tunnel guard" on page 3 in use on a surface planer.

This link has some for sale: http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-...-&-lifts/router-table-feather-boards-&-guards

At work on our panel saw, we have a custom made guard that has spring loaded plastic wheels pointing down to the table which seems to work well.
thanks for those links

I like the tunnel gaurd for the planer a lot i just wish i felt competent to fit it to my jet planer.
Getting back to the table saw I think it would be too cumbersome to keep adjusting as you get a much more varied width of wood on the tablesaw.
I did like some of the featherboards and has given me an idea.

I think i will go for a 'biesemier' style and make a featherboard that attaches to
a block that will fit inside the large groove at the centre of the fence.
I havn't worked out how to hold that in place yet.
Magnets spring to mind but i wonder if they would be powerfull enough?
I have some small button rare earth magnets to mock up a test. do you think thats a good idea?

thanks

Back