Hydrovane compresso 16amp to 13 amp single phase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindo

Reaction score
Hi all, I have bought Hydrovane compressor without a plug just cables sticking for direct wiring and on the motor plate it says 13.5amps so I assumed it should run on a normal 13 amp socket. Although after plugging it in it blow the fuse immediately, after this one of our guys rolled some wire on the fuse and started it again. It had run for a bit after few seconds revs dropped then picked up again and then it just slowed down and stopped completely :shock: :cry: tryied to start it again but nothing happened... did it died on me? can the lower current burn the motor?

Is there definitely a single phase induction motor on your compressor...
Can you see any capacitors on the side of the motor ?
Tom

Mindo":26383f83 said:
Hi all, I have bought Hydrovane compressor without a plug just cables sticking for direct wiring and on the motor plate it says 13.5amps so I assumed it should run on a normal 13 amp socket. Although after plugging it in it blow the fuse immediately, after this one of our guys rolled some wire on the fuse and started it again. It had run for a bit after few seconds revs dropped then picked up again and then it just slowed down and stopped completely :shock: :cry: tryied to start it again but nothing happened... did it died on me? can the lower current burn the motor?

If the motor takes 13.5 amp when running then it will have a current draw considerably more more (possibly double or treble) when starting, especially if under load as a compressor may well be.

If the motor does not recieve an adquate supply (supply cable inadequate for instance) then it will not speed up sufficiently to create the necessary back emf needed to reduce the input current surge and will inevitably (and rapidly) overheat.

The above comments take no acount that the item may also be defective in some way, or the item not starting again is due to the storage tank pressure cut out stopping it. Although I doubt it ran long enough for the latter by your description.

It is a single phase but turns out it requires 16amp cable with D rated fuse I believe. I rang one company that deals with these machines afterwards and the guy from technical side told me that I could have burned the motor... I just can.t understand how if the actual current is lower than rated not higher?
It ran for a short while and did get some pressure in the tank although far from full before stopping, I let that air out hoping it will kick start the machine again.

Mindo":2ozrtdfn said:
…. the guy from technical side told me that I could have burned the motor... I just can.t understand how if the actual current is lower than rated not higher?

CHJ":2ozrtdfn said:
.If the motor does not recieve an adequate supply (supply cable inadequate for instance) then it will not speed up sufficiently to create the necessary back emf needed to reduce the input current surge and will inevitably (and rapidly) overheat.

The motor may have been drawing way more than its rated running current due to the bypassing of the protective fuse in the plug.

Could the overheating then happen that quick? That it really sad news for me then. In this case what it could mean in terms of repair etc? Is there nothing protecting motor on the inside?

Motor windings or any short term rated start capacitors may not fare well if subjected to inrush current for more than 2-3 seconds.

you mean I might get away with replacing capacitors? what are the motor windings? Sorry if it's a silly question

Hydrovanes are a good quality bit of kit and are designed for serious work so I hope its not knackered. Have you checked the pressure switch? Unfortunately mine are 3 phase so I can't help with whether its a capacitor start.

You can pull the cover off the back and rotate it by hand to check it isn't mechanically seized (which would blow a fuse). Obviously check it has enough oil in it. Being a vane type they are mechanically very simple and robust though.

Once you have got it running and in operational be sure to run t continuously for hours rather than minutes - they collect moisture in the oil like its going out of fashion and it'll turn to mayonnaise. I run ours for three hours a day to get the oil hot enough to drive the moisture out. They do a kit which achieve the same thing.

Mindo":2zp94tus said:
What do you think needs to be done next?
Get a qualified electrician to check it out and if it's recoverable install the correct supplies.

Latest posts

Back