humidifier recommendations ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigs

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,

I've been looking for a humidifier for the workshop the will keep a 45% humidity for building classical guitars, anyone have an idea or experience ?

cheers

How cold doors your workshop get? If much below about 15C the refrigerant dryers don't work well. Look at dessicant technology, Meaco make dessicant dryers which get good write ups.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Humidifier or dehumidifier? Presuming you mean the later and as said above if workshop has low temps then a desiccant type like the Meaco are good.

45% is a tough objective. I de-humidify my heated, cavity wall insulated, and double glazed workshop with both traditional and desiccant units. None the less humidity levels are sometimes 65% or more. Unless you're in an air conditioned workshop in Arizona I think you'll struggle to consistently hit 45%.

After thinking about it I suppose I should find the current humidity in there, I live on the coast in NE Scotland and it's always bloody wet here. The room itself is well insulated, though a little until you get working and generate a little heat.

I have an unheated, non insulated brick workshop in which I use an Ecoair Desiccant DD322 CLASSIC dehumidifier even on the dampest day it holds a steady 50% set on Auto. The high setting will achieve 40/45%

The reservoir tank I connected to the outside so no emptying. The machine has been switched on Auto, 24 hours a day since January 2014 (obviously not when the workshop is in use) and there is not the slightest sign of rust on any tools or equipment.

It has an operating ambient temperature of 1-40 deg

Workshop in new place is currently on 94% humidity.

Things are starting to turn orange, in fact, even stuff in the festool boxes is getting damp now.

So may have to sort a dehumidifier 24/7 like above, is it expensive to run?

the_g_ster":3ggrjhbc said:

Things are starting to turn orange, in fact, even stuff in the festool boxes is getting damp now.

If your workshop is 94% humidity on these damp/wet days it's pretty much the same as outside.
You could probably get the humidity level down to an acceptable level by sealing up any gaps, insulating and regularly heating the place up.
Although the 45% these fellas are requiring is definitely dehumidifier territory at this time of year.
Butane gas heaters can also cause condensation though so best stay clear of those.
As I'm only a DIYer I'm just interested in keeping tools dry and rust free and having a comfortable environment.
Good airflow exchange also contributes to this.

the_g_ster":2hakjx6j said:

I have had a look at the past electricity bills there has been no significant change since I started using the dehumidifier. I believe the explanation is that since controlling the moisture apart from one occasion I have not felt the need to use any heating which was electric.

The manufacturers do give figures for the low & high power consumption but I think they are as much use as a chocolate teapot as in the Auto mode the machine continually samples the atmosphere and alternates its running mode. Looking at my electricity bills is a for more realistic option.

Some ventilation is obviously necessary and I think controlled ventilation is the answer, not gaps here there and everywhere but the amount of air circulation needed would depend on the size of your workshop.

My decision to buy a dehumidifier was based on having to heat the space as it always felt cold and finding tools with a coating of rust so “give it a try “ I can always sell it if it is u/s” But am very glad I bought it.

The thought of oiling or waxing everything in my workshop against rust especially items in boxes and those used infrequently gives me the thought of “life is too short“. For me the dehumidifier has been a cure all.

We run 3 desiccant EcoAir DD322FW’s in our 900 sq foot space. Outside today is 95-96% and we’re at 57-58% with no heating. Normally achieve around 50% but weather at the moment is warmish and wet. Don’t know if this is a long term solution for us but for the moment helps to keep our timber nice and dry.. Remember to clear out the filters regularly!

timbly":3iecm4cr said:
We run 3 desiccant EcoAir DD322FW’s in our 900 sq foot space. Outside today is 95-96% and we’re at 57-58% with no heating. Normally achieve around 50% but weather at the moment is warmish and wet. Don’t know if this is a long term solution for us but for the moment helps to keep our timber nice and dry.. Remember to clear out the filters regularly!

Interesting, I'm in a similar sized workshop on the south coast, also running de-humidifiers, and I get very similar readings to you. It's still not absolutely at domestic levels though because very occasionally I'll still get called out to fix a sticking drawer on furniture I've sold.

Hi Custard
How many dehumidiers you running? Costs a bit in electric but otherwise has gone a long way to solving a major problem.. Kitchen with underfloor heating next which will really test how dry our timber is! Not used any heating this year so far and still managing 18 degrees'ish - freakishly mild weather..

Back