Hubble bubble, no lathe trouble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
After a strip down ( of the lathe) and replacement of a ruined worm screw my lathe now turns at full and slow speed (and speeds in between.) Having a bit of a problem getting pics up so will post full details for any CCL owners this evening hopefully.

Pete

Glad it was the lathe you were talking about Pete. (the mind boggles :twisted: )

I now await all the new different sized turnings you will be showing us. Glad the lathe is up and running properly again. I've never owned one of these particular machines but a few members in the club have them so it's good to know what may go wrong, then they can be pointed in the right direction.

OK guys here are a few pics of what happened.

This the speed control shaft. Normally all you see is the bit with the handle on it. You can see the damage that was done to it, the spline is totally burred.

You can see where it goes here

Once you have taken the handle and the grub screw out this shaft will slide out easily.

You then need to undo the nut on the 2nd shaft and take out that grub screw. The 2nd shaft is the one that actually pushes the pulleys in and out.

These two pulley wheels are independent. The outer one is fixed to the shaft but the inner one should slide (note I said should!!) to widen the gap between them.

Here you can see the shaft with the outer pulley removed.

When running at slowest speed this is the way the pulleys are all positioned

When in top speed they should look like this with the belt riding at the top of the motor pulleys and the bottom of the speed control pulleys.

Mine was stuck in this position and in trying to move it I burred the teeth on the cog as in the first picture. The metal must be really soft. All because there wasn't enough lubrication on the shaft. :oops:

To release it I had to gently mpve it a fraction at a time ading PTFE spray. (Use a mask here as it put me on back for 24 hours!!!)
It will gradually work loose and then just keep manipulating it until it moves freely. It is a very tight fit and runs along the shaft on a key. If you feel that you need to apply any extra pressure open up and lubricate. It doesn't take much to burr these splines. Having said that, the spline on the 2nd shaft didn't have a mark on it so perhaps mine was a one off rogue. However tempting it is don't use any force on the pulleys themselves. They are extremely fragile. The bottom one can be pulled out with your fingers but the top set won't move.

Hope this is of use and prevents any one else having these problems.

Fortunately for me I had you lot and Axminster to help. Thanks to everyone
P.S. Any weird spellings is because I need a new Keyboard and I am too tight to get one

Pete

Bodrighy":67h8qbff said:
P.S. Any weird spellings is because I need a new Keyboard and I am too tight to get one

I hear PTFE spray is good for that sort of thing... :wink: :lol:

Glad the lathe is fixed.

Andrew

PowerTool":3fy5c1ue said:
I hear PTFE spray is good for that sort of thing... :wink: :lol:

Andrew

There are rules on this forum about saying what I think of PTFE spray at the moment :twisted:

Pete

Well done Pete.
This i will be saving.
Just one question.Couldn't you have used WD40 to help remove the parts,instead of the PTFE spray :?:
Paul.J.

Paul.J":1hqiq3x5 said:
Well done Pete.
This i will be saving.
Just one question.Couldn't you have used WD40 to help remove the parts,instead of the PTFE spray :?:
Paul.J.

I gave it an initial spray of WD40 before removing anything and everything came apart easily. The PTFE went on whilst loosening the shaft of the pulley. I didn't need to take that out, just get it moving again. I am not sure whether my 'affliction' was due to the PTFE alone or a mixture tho' I wiped everything down before applying lubricant. Never did like chemicals of any kind........

I forgot to add the pics re taking the head off the bed. Slacken off the main handle using a spanner at the other end of the shaft (round the back of the head,) but be careful. The thing is really heavy and when it gets loose, the motor will off balance it if you are not careful.

Hope you never need to fo it

Pete

Latest posts

Back