How would you rate the UK's handling of this pandemic?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After much thought I will award the UK a medal position for how this has all been handled. I give them the Chinesium medal

That sort of implies, to me at least, that the middle class is not "cheating the system and cash in hand work and whatever"

: )

Maybe they just have accountants to sanitise it a bit more, however, I suspect an all seeing god would find they were no less culpable.

weve been fed a diet of blaming "benefit scroungers" for decades by the media.....mostly by media owned by billionaires living in tax havens IE benefit cheats.

The likelihood is that as Johnson steps away from the chaos of his making he will blaming everybody and everything; the EU itself, the virus, Trump, Corbyn, the science, aliens from outer space.

Actually once the economic pain of covid and brexit bite, the Tory machine will blame Johnson and get rid of him.

weve been fed a diet of blaming "benefit scroungers" for decades by the media.....mostly by media owned by billionaires living in tax havens IE benefit cheats.
It used to be "single mothers on benefits" getting most stick. Bring back the single mothers!

Since the beginning of this very serious pandemic I have found it incredulous that supposedly intelligent people have used the excuse that the rules are not clear, to enable them to flout them, it's not rocket science, stay in, only go out if it's imperative, visiting grandchildren etc does not count as imperative.

No Rorschach as you have proven umpteen times what you and so many others consider imperative is mostly just selfishness. imperative is somehting that keeps you alive - food fuel medicine otherwise stay in.

No Rorschach as you have proven umpteen times what you and so many others consider imperative is mostly just selfishness. imperative is somehting that keeps you alive - food fuel medicine otherwise stay in.

I am glad it is so easy for you.

It is not mate but I have always believed in the greater good unlike some and am prepared to make sacrafices if needed unlike some

It is not mate but I have always believed in the greater good unlike some and am prepared to make sacrafices if needed unlike some
reducing the rate of infection spread requires a collective effort -sure its a blunt instrument, but if one person goes shopping, goes to the beach so can everybody else.

It is the people busy arguing against lockdowns and against masks etc that cause the damage -they are corrosive to collective effort and they trivialise the tireless work of the ICU nurses trying to keep people very sick people alive.

As a nation of the infantilised , fat ,unfit and devoted to rubbish food, where any risk is seen as too much but always someone else’s responsibility, no governement was going to get it right. Boris and co have done what they think gives them the best chance of winning the next election, ladled out cash as fast as they can, the electorate have happily soaked it up but still want more.
The nhs is being overrun not so much because of covid but the general state of the nations health and atitude towards it ( which generally is “i’ll do what i want and let society sort the out the consequences”) which has meant that covid has had a field day.
Idiots having parties and ignoring even basic common sense just add to the pressures but are just an extension of underlying attitudes. It’s where as a society we’ve chosen to be and are now reaping what we’ve sown.

I dont think so, Im sure most people would have approved of a properly funded NHS, not one stripped to the bone.

That's a platitude statement. Platitudes are easy to get buy-in on (like our nutballs here right now "everyone would approve of a review of the votes to make sure election integrity remains intact).

You literally cannot cover every possible event without increasing spending by some enormous amount and taking quid (what do you call them, quids, quiddies? quid piles?) away from current issues that are actually on peoples' door step.

Tell me how the news story would go if you had pandemic preparation for all of the different potential problems and someone started doing news reports on the stockpiles of materials as they expired and were thrown away. It would be in the tens of billions at least.

Platitudes don't anything for anyone unless you can actually lay out feasible plans to work toward them - but don't tell us about the events that have already happened (platitudes are great, because you can make up a specific plan of action for something in the past very easily), but the ones that could happen.

The first thing I'll be able to quickly do is point out a whole gaggle of other possibilities that aren't covered by your plan of action.

I wonder why the gov't didn't just consult this woodworking forum before making any decisions, if they had all would have been tickity boo.
Because I would suspect most of the people on forums like this have common sense and want to avoid the virus so they can live to enjoy their pastimes like woodworking, and the government would not think we are PC enough to listen to. Had Borris watched the news leading upto christmas he would have seen the masses in London spreading the virus and ignoring the rules but would still not have reacted until to late.

I am glad its so easy for the ICU nurses working under extreme pressure trying to keep covid patients alive.

And following from above, first the platitude, then the emotional argument or moral highground version of such. The implication in what you're saying is that because you care about pressure on ICU nurses, the only possible continuation is that other people don't.

Does solving the problem stop at complaining, or have you sat down and spent some time looking at how the NHS is funded and decisions are made, and proposed realistic potential changes?

The nhs is being overrun not so much because of covid but the general state of the nations health and atitude towards it ...... which has meant that covid has had a field day.
NHS over run by govt slowness to act over Covid. Also by unpreparedness after 10 years of utterly pointless austerity and underinvestment. Also understaffed due to under investment in training, deliberate understaffing public bodies everywhere (police, fire etc) to save money and deliberate hostility to immigrant workers.
The bloke in the queue/party may be a twerp but he is being led and misadvised by conflicting and ever changing "guidance".

Last edited:
Because I would suspect most of the people on forums like this have common sense ............

I doubt it, by the law of averages, I'd say we have the same common sense as the rest of the country, unless we are all special. Why do you think we are special and have more?

Actually once the economic pain of covid and brexit bite, the Tory machine will blame Johnson and get rid of him.
But is it not better the comedian, bumbling buffoon you know than the devil you don't. I think all the political system needs is a modern day Guy Fawkes to reset it and lets start again. None of todays Mps give me any confidence, old Mr stammer, Anallice and the rest are all in it for there own agenda.

Let's not start that one, the holier than thou always falls apart in the end because no matter how "good" you are, there is always a point at which you become selfish.

I would not say special but rather more normal, real people who need to think to use their hands and skills to produce something rather than the smart phone zombies who share trivia and like spoonfeeding and being supported by the state, I know a few of these, no common sense, want to become famous and not have to get a proper 9 to 5 job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back