How would you go about making something like this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Legacy mill that would do it in 4' sections. :giggle: As a DIY project I think you would be into building a long Router sled with accurate indexing. It would rout a taper as well. The question is ,Is it worth the time and effort. ?

We made six larch oars 10 feet long for a skiff. A very smooth taper was achieved over the full length by using a router sled, mounting the larch blanks a centimeter higher at one end then running the router along the top from end to end and revolving the blank. We used a flat router bit but you could change it to one of a suitable shape for your last runs. As Recipio notes, you would need an indexing system which of course we didn't need. Iana

It looks like a repair has been done to the LH column near the top
I attach a copy of one of the photos.
0E644173-2749-4F12-A46E-D2CBDD965F48.jpeg

I have circled the LH column and what looks like a joint. The RH column has no corresponding joint. It looks like the bottom part of the LH column is a repair and is in poor condition.

The top part of the LH column and the RH look in good condition, are these parts wood or cast iron? If in good condition why replace them.

Seems to me that more investigation is required.

Latest posts

Back