How would you do this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Looking for some design help if poss please. Possibly this post should be in the design forum but as that seems to get limited mileage I thought I am more likely to get an answer here.

I want to build some bookcases in my downstairs hall to better use an odd space. Problem is that I need to build them around a radiator.

Space is a bit like this (1st time posting a picture so hope it works OK!)
HallBookcaseUnit.jpg

The magnolia colour is the walls, big gap on the right is a door. To the left of the door the white blob is the radiator I need to build around. I want the cabinet up the wall the radiator is on and also up the wall to the left of the radiator so it is an L shaped unit.

I want to maximize the space by going almost up to the ceiling. I don't mind the approach with a cabinet below extending to just above the radiator, that has advantages as I could build the unit in two pieces as my workshop is not that big. I was intending to effectively box in the radiator possibly using the pre manufactured MDF fronting you can get in most Sheds.

I am struggling with how to transition around the corner whilst maximizing the space. Was thinking of a possibly having a small hidden door on the angle which I could stash long things like umbrellas and brooms etc behind into the corner but that may be a bit much. Structurally the wall the radiator is on is block work but the wall to the left is plasterboard.

I will probably make the carcass out of faced MDF with hardwood lippings etc. Possibly make any doors out of solid wood, fielded or whatever.

My workshop is pretty well equipped with the main power (PT, Big and small BS, TS, Mortiser, Pillar Drill, Lathe etc) and hand tools (LN planes and chisels etc) so making the unit should not be a big issue even with my limited skills!

Any ideas or examples on how to tackle this would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Just checking that you intend to provision an inlet vent at floor level and an outlet vent at the top of the cabinet to allow the convection current to continue to flow round the radiator? Hence there should be an open void behind the cabinet for the convection current.

I'd seriously consider moving the radiator. If you could move it to a location nearby then you might be able to get away with running the pipes above the floor given that most(?) will be hidden by the bookcase.

Thanks for the replies.

Chippy, jali looks good, has some interesting concepts but none that seem to answer my problem unfortunately.

Chris and Schultzy, I had expected to leave room for convection at top and bottomn, and a removable front to give access to the rad.

Moving the Rad is not really a goer as there simply is nowhere else to put it, all the other walls are either too small or are in the main walkways. Had considered it but it isn't really possible, only likely location is to the right of the door which means channelling/extending the pipes up and over the door which is a block wall, plus that wall is sloping down to a cupboard under the stairs. I do need the Rad as it is on the main entrance hall and is also the local rad to the thermostat and so is the one without a TRV.

My main problem is how to wrap the unit around the corner and cover the Rad.

Thanks all so far, keep the suggestions coming.

I would either move the rad' for preference, or look at replacing it with a tall slim design closer to the door.

Can't see a design of bookcase that accomodates it being anything other than an awkward and unconvincing compromise to be honest !

Is the floor concrete or suspended timber ? I have successfully moved/replaced/resized rads' in both, and even channeling a concrete floor isn't as bad as you might think using a decent sds drill and chisels.

Cheers, Paul :D

Make the bit in front of the radiator like a rad cover - ie mdf with holes. Then to make it look right put a similar bit in the the bottom of the other bit but make it into a small cupboard. That might make it look right - or not.

Another option would be to use skirting board convectors instead of the radiator:

surline.jpg

That might let you use the full height for vertical sides.

Alternatively, swap the rad for a column on the awkward middle wall, then put a full size flat bookcase on the door wall and the other parallel wall. No awkward corners and the narrow space gets used.

The skirting rad idea is an interesting one - we were debating these for the particular setup of our living room, but after quite a bit of research, they seem to have lots of problems.

I wouldn't be put off by shelving round the rad, but whatever you do, isn't a bigger difficulty the "dead" space in the corner? You can't really put books into there and still have them accessible. So might one answer be to make virtue of it and put some sort of very tall rad in the corner, with separate full height shelf units on each wall?

As a few people including Dick M have said, the radiator itself isn't really the issue (ie it's fairly straightforward to handle that without needing to move it).

In terms of the corner space, I'd probably just leave it open, perhaps with some recessed down lighters and place some ornaments or small photo frames in there for display.

The only other option I could think of was the kind of rotating shelving that you get in corner units in kitchens. Would need to be of a smaller radius, but perhaps able to hold half a dozen books on each 'face' as you rotate it round. You could even have one of the 'faces' as a tall storage area for umbrellas, sticks etc.

Cheers

Alan

Mike,

I have no idea what sort of style you are looking for but here is one option, form a nib with studwork and plasterboard with a recess to take a tall radiator then create a couple of bookcase in the corner. The base could be set up to cover the re-routed pipes if you need to.
You could run one behind the other if you need more shelf space .

hall.jpg

Can I come back to the radiator? It should be moved regardless of building the bookcase.
Speak to a heating engineer if you don't believe me radiators on internal wall spell trouble, they conflict with the normal laws of convection. This is why radiators are placed under windows. Warm goes to cold. The air circulates in a circular motion to the centre of the dwelling. The reverse causes CONDENSATION!

With reference to the bookcase have an order in from eldest daughter for a similar specification. When drawings complete will post.

Regards

Thanks all for the input.

Paul, thanks for the plan, quite like that idea.

The hall has no windows, just the front door so an outside window for the rad is a non starter.

My current plans do not really include moving the rad although I do like the look of Pauls plan, looks fairly simple.

A bit more thinking to do yet I think.

Mike,

What size of book do you want to store on the shelves?

I'd be inclined to keep it to paperback size, anything bigger might be too intrusive and loose you too much floor space.

I'd move the rad slightly to the right and box in keeping it central, allowing for the depth of the left hand shelf. Boxing in the internal corner as per Paul's drawing. It's a void space but probably the lesser of all evils.

The shelf should be brought round left hand external corner if you finish the shelf flush with that wall on that corner I don't think it will ever look right.

Martin

Latest posts

Back