How to use a scraper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like that film.

I'm not really a hand tool guy :oops: but in the past I've always used stanley blades for scraping small areas, the idea behind a cabinet scraper is great, but like normal sharpening, I get a bit overwhelmed.

I'm going to buy a scraper now, and try this technique :wink:

Cheers Adam

Jed

I have always felt it necessary to run the burnisher backwards and forwards a few times with the scraper held firmly in the vice. But the shavings he achieved with just one pass and with the scraper in his hand were very impressive.

Not in work at the moment to try it but have other people had similar success with his method?

Simon

Having never tried to use a scrapper, I'm thinking of trying this.

What type of file do I need to use to square the edge? turnip, second or fine cut? Can anyone point me towards the right type in the Axi catalogue?

Cheers

Mark

The Bear":3g5ng6op said:

What type of file do I need to use to square the edge? turnip, second or fine cut? Can anyone point me towards the right type in the Axi catalogue?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

You are looking for a smooth file:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Vall ... -22596.htm

Because the teeth are finer at shorter files, I would take the 200mm file.

Cheers
Pedder

What a fabulous demo. Looks much easier than I have been making it so far. Especially the advice for using the file. And the swiping.
Mind you, I think a little practice prior to doing the swipe freehand - those knuckles on the hand doing the swiping are moving rather quickly past a rather sharp metal edge :)

Cheers,
Adam

Basically the method I use 'cept mine goes in the vice and I use two or three passes of the burnisher on each edge.
Not difficult to do once you get the knack :wink: - Rob

pedder":c3moqwjh said:
The Bear":c3moqwjh said:

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

You are looking for a smooth file:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Vall ... -22596.htm

Because the teeth are finer at shorter files, I would take the 200mm file.

Cheers
Pedder

I think I would get a mill file, they are single cut, used for filing saw blades and should give a smoother finish than a fine double cut file.

Rob, sounds like I use (now 'used to use') the same technique as you, but to me this method is FAR superior.
Had the need to sharpen a scraper over the weekend and it works a treat. Just watch your knuckles on the (high speed) pass of the burnisher. DAMHIKT
:shock: :shock: :wink:

Adam.[/i]

Well I was taught to start the burnishing square and gradually increase the hook in several passes. But I cannot deny that he get results, and excellent ones at that.

An that reminds me. My nice vertiats burnisher has started to get a bit scarred, I think it's time I spent a wee while fettling it.
S

Just watched this video for the first time, as I've got to get my cabinet scraper super sharp for my new job. I like the method shown and will be trying it tomorrow.

I have noticed many woodworkers flex a bend in the scraper. This gives a scalloped surface as you can see in the first video. With a good edge, it is not necessary to flex the scraper. I also did a video some years ago showing the sharpening of a scraper on the Lap-Sharp and scraping Bubinga. I also did one with Birdseye Maple. My testing has shown good results with a scraper sharpened to 40 micron (P-360) and finer. The video shows the sharpening at 5 micron. Good burnishing tools can easily be made using a valve stem or wrist pin from an engine. The case hardened and smooth surface reduces the likelihood of the metal galling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzAYZ92z5C4

Back