How to make a Luthier Clamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Nice one Steve :) , I was going to ask you about those the other day.

Pete

Thanks again for a very concise and well produced video. I think even I will now be able to make some! (My wife doesn't believe you can't have enough clamps)
Excellent

Steve

thanks for that
been using those at work but with the metal stock, going to have a go at making my own but all in timber now that i've seen the vid
cheers

woodbloke":23vavpkm said:
Have got three on the go even as I make a brew...but Steve, a question.

What are nails? :p - Rob

Rob, I think this is one job where you have to use a nail, as your no more nails may affect the operation of the clamps :D :D :D

As Steve said, they're easy to make...this is my fourth attempt :oops:

001small-10.jpg

It does pay dividends to listen very carefully to what's said on the clip and follow all Steve's instructions to the letter and remove all glue from where bits rub together :oops: and drill 'oles in the right place :oops: and get the correct jaw on the stem :oops: and remember to put the thin bit in the right place :oops:

This one's in an offcut of Wakansian maple and I've added some ebony doweling for reinforcement...not really needed. Jaws are leather lined as well. A pair of these would make a good SS present :-k :wink: :whistle: - Rob

Classy Rob! Excellent rendition...I love the ebony contrast too!

Damn it guys...you know how to tease a chap into wasting his valuable time don'tcha just! :D
:wink:
Jim

jlawrence":nq2i8veo said:
It's not as if you need masses of clamping pressure every time.
Exactly. Much of the time I only need to prevent things from moving, not squeeze the living daylights out of them. And you'd be surprised at just how much pressure they can exert. Get your finger caught and see for yourself. DAMHIKT.

jlawrence":nq2i8veo said:
Steve makes it look so easy though.

Aw, shucks!

S
:p

Back