How to Forge A Career in Cabinetmaking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
We often hear on here from people wanting to know how to go about getting a job in woodworking, so I thought I'd share this tale as a bit of inspiration.

As many of you will know, I share a workshop with another cabinetmaker from where we each run our separate businesses. This arrangement enables both of us to enjoy the benefits of a fully equipped workshop but at half the cost of each having our own place.

We regularly receive letters and emails from young guys looking for a job. Generally we ignore them - as do most people. Neither of us has had any wish to complicate life by becoming an employer or bringing anyone else into our cosy little arrangement.

Until Joe turned up.

Joe roared up on his motorbike one morning and strode into the workshop. 'Hi' he said, 'I'm Joe'.

It turned out that Joe had recently completed a course in cabinetmaking at the local college and was working as a manager of a trendy bar in Chorlton (the Mancunian equivalent of Notting Hill). He had financed his way through college in this way, too. He explained that he was quite happy with his bar job but that what he really wanted was to work in a cabinetmaking workshop. Could we give him a day's work each week so that he could prove himself? For no wages?

We both liked the cut of his jib and so we agreed. After his first day it was clear that we'd found a gudden and so as he was climbing on his bike to go home Phil shoved £70 into his hand.

To cut a long story short Joe has now given notice at the bar and is joining us full-time on a self-employed basis. If he fulfils his early potential he will become an equal partner in the workshop within a year or so - providing he can start to bring in his own work and can raise the buy-in fee.

So in the space of 2 months, Joe has carved a career for himself with us simply by making himself first useful, and then indispensable. It has meant that we have been able to take on work that we would otherwise have had to turn down, and has led to Phil and I leaving our comfort zones and increasing our own productivity to keep up with an eager 25 year-old!

Phil and I have now taken to referring to young Joe as 'The Pension'. :lol:

I'm sure that if a pair of tight-ar5ed old pippers like Phil and me can come round to the benefits of adding a little youth to our crew then the same is true of hundreds of similar old pippers all over the country. They just don't know it yet, though.

So if you are a young guy wanting to make woodwork your career take a leaf out of Joe's book...

...and get on your bike!

Cheers
Brad

Brad, sounds good, however I think the taxman will take issue with the self employed part.

I would forget the pension as well, if he is that good he will be a competitor in two years and may well set up a shop next door.

I like employees with no ambition. :lol:

Doctor":19jq2vb3 said:
Brad, sounds good, however I think the taxman will take issue with the self employed part.

I would forget the pension as well, if he is that good he will be a competitor in two years and may well set up a shop next door.

Not if you keep it quiet, ssshhhhhh....

Aidan

Joe's a nice lad. Shame he got in with you two :lol:

Seriously though, on a practical note, you need to get employers liability insurance. If he had an accident in the 'shop, you could face serious problems if he was deemed to be an "employee", which he probably would.

Cheers

Karl

Doctor":1r68s1zw said:

That's what I said, but our accountant says that he has it covered. He's never been wrong yet!

Which is why we intend to look after him and cut him a piece of the action. If he then shafts us, we'll just break his fingers.

They must be pretty dull, though.

Sounds like me. I went to a local cabinet maker (on a motorbike) as im in college asked for some experience. I have been going to him for about 3 months just practising my own stuff and he has shown me the correct ways of doing things. He recently put me on to a friend who is looking at taking me on as an apprentice. Just waiting or papers :D

Also dont phone cabinet makers you will not get anywhere as they are just too busy they need to be properly distracted.

Glad it's working out. Just for the record, as long as Joe is 'available to work' for anyone then his self-employed status shouldn't be an issue - you just need to be a bit canny about the number of days he bills you for, and at what rate etc...

Karl's right about employer's liability though; if someone's on your premises, freelance or not, you're responsible for their health & safety.

Nothing to do with the VAT-man mind you, unless Joe's VAT registered.

Pete

you could set yourselves up as a co-operative, which could be a charitable apprentissage. that owns the shop, it leases you each the space for you to conduct your own profitable enterprises, which never make any money cos the damn rent is so high. whoever "buys in" to the charity gets lifetime trusteeship. then your charitable foundation can fly the trustees round the world on fact finding missions (holidays), TAX FREE.

don't forget, in every transaction with "society" it is your artificial corporate person involved. we can play by their rules.

DONT PAY THEIR TAXES!

Nice article BradNaylor.

I was in the same situation as Joe was.

I walked into a local cabinet making firm and showed them pieces of work i made. Working the first 2 months 1 day a week for free.

Now just finished working with the firm for the summer and im loving it.

Im not too sure its people unwilling to take on but people unwilling to look for a job.

On friday i asked everyone on my course, all 3 years which equates to roughly 60 people. I asked them if anyone had worked in the summer or been looking for work.

Only 3 people even bothered to get off there buttocks to look for a job.

Do u think cabinet makers would hire someone like me who isn't very experienced in woodworking but is passionate and willing to learn for a summer job (in between my studies) or would I be too much hassle?

My mum wants me out of her hair when I am on holiday and I'd rather do woodworking of some form then bum around the house + I would have to save up for these tools I can't afford

Lupton go for work experience then hope for the best, also all they can say is no and at least you are trying. But don't phone, the guy only let me get some practice as i didn't phone him loads before me phoned him but never went there.

Beardo16 I am also one of about 4 who bothered to get some practice i am doing carpentry but much prefer the joinery and furniture side

BradNaylor":14ukfrym said:
Doctor":14ukfrym said:
petermillard":14ukfrym said:
Nothing to do with the VAT-man mind you, unless Joe's VAT registered.

Pete

So taking people on doesn't increase your turnover!!!

It might just increase the number of days I get to play golf!

Brad, we should aim to have a game one day, maybe when we retire :lol: :lol:

If you can get ther go there if you cant get there dont bother as you wont be able to get there also shows you are mobile

LuptonM":1mav5ni1 said:
Clark Antique Pine Furniture (closer)

Is email a big no no as well?

That sounds like the place I visited briefly, the other week (I bought a small table saw off them via. eBay - the motor was in need of some 'attention'). I think the guy's name was Anthony Clark - didn't get to meet him as he was out the workshop all day but, his son works with him and, according to his wife, they're very busy at the minute. Although their shop sells "antique pine" furniture (mostly stuff they buy in, strip and refinish, rather than make from scratch themselves), he's actually a cabinet maker/carpenter who does kitchens and all sorts.

So, in short, I'd say it's definitely worth paying them a visit - phone ahead to make sure he's in. You never know. :wink:

The only real advantage to using e-mail that I can think of is that they could have access to your CV and contact details immediately. I don't think there's too much 'wrong' with that approach; most would prefer a more direct form of contact. Some may not have the time to check their inboxes that often, either.

Beardo16":3vm3nw3q said:
On friday i asked everyone on my course, all 3 years which equates to roughly 60 people. I asked them if anyone had worked in the summer or been looking for work.

Only 3 people even bothered to get off there pineapple to look for a job.

Adam - are you saying that around 56 people (excluding yourself) on your course are unemployed??? :shock:

You may find that part of the reason they stayed unemployed over the summer was so that they could get the government to pay their tuition fees by signing on.... :oops:

Brad, how about taking me on as a Septarian (or whatever I am) ?

I have some back troubles and also hearing is impaired, dont take orders easily but would like a good income at the end of the week.

After all, the latest is to work to you drop, seems to be the coming thing of the future.

Latest posts

Back