How to fit a custom screwdriver handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BodgerM_497

Reaction score
I'm a newcomer to woodwork. I'm nearly finished a home carved sycamore screwdriver handle, to mount my the screwdriver blade (ground from 5/8 x 1/8" steel bar).

However I'm stuck on how to mount this rectnagular shank within the sycamore. It's too narrow to do a tiny mortice with a chisel. I thought about chain drilling 1/8" dia holes but couldn't get in to clean the sides, again due to chisel restriction.

I suppose I'm asking how the traditional cabinet screwdrivers achieve this..!

Thanks in advance.

Drill a line of 1/8 holes
Clean out as much as possible with your 1/8" chisel.
Heat the steel screwdriver shaft and burn it into place (may take a couple of heats to burn in full depth)

Heat the steel screwdriver shaft and burn it into place (may take a couple of heats to burn in full depth)
Can you elaborate please; as I said I'm a newcomer.

Do I heat it to a dull red?
What's the heating meant to achieve - does it 'glue' itself to the remaining sap in the sycamore?

Thanks for your input.

Burning it in just burns out the wood to the same shape as the blade. It’s actually the standard way of doing this. You will probably still need to fix the blade in the burned out mortise. Simplest would be epoxy.

Wrap the blade end of the screw driver in a damp rag so you don’t take the temper out of it.

I usually put the blade horizontal in a steel vice (which forms a heat sink to protect the working end), heat the tang red hot, then slide on the handle with gentle taps from a mallet. (Lots of smoke and maybe a small flame). If the handle slides on with little effort to within 1/4" of final fit, I'll give it a couple of good whacks to fully seat it. If it doesn't go on far enough at first try, I'll remove, re-heat, and try again.
(Tapered chisel tangs stick fast in place without any glue, but maybe your parallel sided screwdriver may work loose and require some glue assist).

Back