How to choose thinner boards?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodoctors

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've hoarding timber before my next project (not sure why). Looking for some thinner boards (6mm-ish) to make laminated block for bandsaw boxes.

Looking at my local timber yard, they stock common hardwood in various lengths. I notice however that the thinner boards are invariably bowed or warped in one shape or form (literally). Only found 1 length of 1500mm x 120mm x 9mm (ish) of beech that is fairly flat. Others like ash, sapele etc are visibily sligthly warped. I have bought a planer/thicknesser so I can plane it, but it would also make the board too thin and kind of defeat the purpose. I guess I am cutting it into smaller sections for laminate anyway so that shouldn't matter much either.

Am I being picky or am I just looking at poor quality stock? If this is normal how much bowing is "acceptable"?

Thanks.

Adrian

If you want thin and flat boards then you need them to be vertical grain, or very close to it. The board might still be a bit cupped from internal stresses released when it was cut, but once it has stabilised to your workshop humidity (a week is plenty for a thin board) you can plane it flat and it should stay there.

Twisted boards are no good, as they'll almost certainly keep moving.

Most thin boards don't have vertical grain. You have to pick through and be lucky.

If you want thin and flat boards then you need them to be vertical grain, or very close to it. The board might still be a bit cupped from internal stresses released when it was cut, but once it has stabilised to your workshop humidity (a week is plenty for a thin board) you can plane it flat and it should stay there.

Twisted boards are no good, as they'll almost certainly keep moving.

Most thin boards don't have vertical grain. You have to pick through and be lucky.

You could buy some 1" boards and then thin them down now you have planer thicknesser. I know its quite a lot of machining but it opens up the option of wider choice of timber.

Vertical grain is likely to be the best choice for staying flat, however it may also exhibit boring grain patterns!

Back