how to adhere HDPE sheet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den Dezyn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi i am making a router table and wish to have a top layer of 6mm hdpe sheet on 36mm of mdf but not sure how to adhere together also considering using it on the face of the fence. Any help would be appreciated before i buy it.
Thank you
Den

Contact adhesive is used by some but getting it smooth and even can be tricky and you get one shot at having it right.

Mechanical fixing saves the hassle of glues and means it can be replaced easily, but you end up with holes all over it.

Double-sided tape is the best option, but you need one that will stick to it, prepare the surface of the MDF first by roughing it up with a blade like you would a floor before applying tile adhesive then clean the surfaces and stick it on, some for of mechanical fixing is usefull on smaller parts as it stops the HDPE from being moved at all and straining the bond

Aidan

TheTiddles":2rrkn42v said:
Double-sided tape is the best option, but you need one that will stick to it
Aidan

Thanks Aidan

Which type of double sided tape do i need and where can i get it Thanks
Den

I think you will find it is best to screw it. I did exactly the same thing on my router fence but found that contact adhesive and double sided tape wouldn't hold it for long. I ended up drilling countersunk holes and screwing it on. I used it like that for a few years until I changed the fence. There is an adhesive for it but it is very expensive. Well after all that is what it is for sliky smooth, nothing sticks to it. :lol:

Dont waste time and money trying to glue hdpe with adhesives, either get the proper hot welding tool and make some sorta bracket up to hold it in place or use some countersunk screws.

Hi Den

Difficult material to stick properly due to it's "slippy" surface which is exactly the property you want for your table of course.

You really need one of the polyethelene resin adhesives, from memory something like this http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/22541 ... PA_PE.html or as suggested, mechanical fixing (which is what I would do).

The only other method I've seen which seems to last is a PU adhesive. After reading an article managed to stick some PTFE and polypropelene sheet a couple of years ago with some left over PU after sticking the spoiler to my car boot (that's still soundly stuck as well). It's available in std cartridge form from screwfix etc.

Bob

Back