How times have changed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Back during the 1929 Financial Crash it was said that some Wall Street Stockbrokers and Bankers JUMPED from their office windows and committed suicide when confronted with the news of their firms' and clients' financial ruin. Many people were said to almost feel a little sorry for them.

In 2008 the attitude has changed somewhat

Clicky

Raggy":38yen6cl said:
Back during the 1929 Financial Crash it was said that some Wall Street Stockbrokers and Bankers JUMPED from their office windows and committed suicide when confronted with the news of their firms' and clients' financial ruin. Many people were said to almost feel a little sorry for them.

In 2008 the attitude has changed somewhat

Clicky

They have parachutes now,so they wouldn`t get hurt.

Raggy":3udvgzi2 said:

Raggy, that picture made me smile a little :)

Financiers jumping from office windaows in the week following Black Thursday is in fact a myth, perpetuated on this side of the pond by what John Kenneth Galbraith in his book 'The Great Crash 1929' calls the 'penny press' I believe they are now known as the tabloids :roll:

JKG goes on to say that suicides had been rising slightly for several years before 1929 and it was only in 1930, '31, and '32 that it increased sharply.

In 1929 governments did all the wrong things (Which I suppose means the banks were not so much to blame)

In 2008 the Banks and other financial institutions have done all the wrong things and it's down to the governments to sort out the mess, which ultimately means you and me through huge increases in taxation, not next year, or the year after, but that time will come.

Back