How tight !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
I have found that most of the blades I break are breaking at the clamp . This leaves about 5 mm in the clamp am I putting too much pressure on when tightening or is this just a naturel thing .
I find it happens more with No 3 blades .Should I just experiment wit tension and grip . Thank you.

Hi Eugene. I don't know what it is about the Hegner but when I got mine I went through a spell of breaking blades that was out of all proportion. I don't break so many now but I can honestly say I very rarely wear a blade out, they break before then and still do. Like you I find they break at the bottom clamp so what I do is re-attach the blade and then undo the tension knob till the top of the blade is in line with where I want it in the top clamp and then carry on. I save a lot of blades this way. I found it was important when fitting the blade into the bottom clamp to get it spot on in the middle so the blade is in line with the top of the clamp.

I spoke to Hegner a couple of weeks ago and they stressed the importance of not over tightening the bottom clamp. Turn the key until you feel it bite onto the blade and then just turn the key a little bit more and that is enough. I have found the main reason the blades break is a build up of heat so when the saw is going to be running for say 10 minutes before i come out the other end I tend to stop about half way and give the blade a rest and if you do this I would advise stopping at a place where it would be difficult to see as it can leave a mark on the wood when you stop and start. Although I still break blades I feel that she they do break now they are almost at the end of their usefulness anyway so no great loss.

I also use a Hegner Multicut1 I have never had a blade break at the clamp,they usually break around halfway.It may be th
e blade you are using,I shall be using some new blades to me very soon.I will submit a report on them asap.

Bryan Bennett

I used to have breakages at the bottom clamp, irrespective of the blade make. I have found that it was due to over tightening the clamps. The red handled "T" tool for tightening will allow you to get a real good fist full of tension. I now tighten using the tips of my fingers with very little pressure. It seams to work. I find it hard to believe that such little pressure will hold the blade. The same appears to be the case for the top clamp. I have given up trying to get 8/0's to work effectively, I certainly haven't found the answer to issue.

There is a small crew on the left side of the clamp.
Make sure that is is even with the inside. It is hard to turn it because it as some kind of
special hardning so that it will not move by it self.
Hope this is some of the problem.
FD Mike

Don't know how the pivot arrangements work (don't have a fretsaw) but almost sounds as though the blade is being subjected to fatigue bending at the clamp. Lighter clamping may just be allowing it to pivot slightly rather than bending.

Do the clamps themselves pivot in the arms to take up the change in angle when the arms travel through their arc, if so is the lower clamp free to pivot ?

CHJ":2dfohoxa said:
Don't know how the pivot arrangements work (don't have a fretsaw) but almost sounds as though the blade is being subjected to fatigue bending at the clamp. Lighter clamping may just be allowing it to pivot slightly rather than bending.

Do the clamps themselves pivot in the arms to take up the change in angle when the arms travel through their arc, if so is the lower clamp free to pivot ?

Chas . Although I have two saws and you don't have any I would guess that you know more about their wworkings than I ever will :roll: .
The blade is fitted into a top and bottom clamp which have a vee shaped end which the blade fits into and tightened these in turn fit into a vee groove on the top and bottom arms and tensioned.
There is a small winged bolt on the top arm which scrrews down into a dimple on the top of the clamp which I think may or may not have something to do with the movement of the blade , I think it's time to hunt down the manual which I remember seeing when I unboxed the saw . :oops: :roll: :roll: .

Thanks to all for the advice ,I would like to point out that this is a 24 hr. advice receiving 'puter on scroll saws :lol: :lol: .

Latest posts

Back