How on earth does anybody make a purchasing decision!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to drag you back to the OP's question and the proposal of a Graduate :oops:

The other problem with Graduates, apart from being built for the short of stature and without EVS, is the availability of chucks.

The Grad has a rather antiquated 1 1/2" x 6TPI Left and Right hand Whitworth thread on outboard & inboard ends respectively. This can reduce your chucking options quite considerably.

HTH
Jon

Hi guys, finally sorted.
I had the chance of a nice Wivamac so I am going to pick it up on Saturday.
Really excited now and looking forward to getting started in turning.
Just need to rearrange the workshop so I can get it in.
Thanks for all your comments.
Phil

chipmunk":b1o87hih said:
Sorry to drag you back to the OP's question and the proposal of a Graduate :oops:

The other problem with Graduates, apart from being built for the short of stature and without EVS, is the availability of chucks.

The Grad has a rather antiquated 1 1/2" x 6TPI Left and Right hand Whitworth thread on outboard & inboard ends respectively. This can reduce your chucking options quite considerably.

HTH
Jon

The answer to this is to get an adapter that has the 1 1/2" WW female thread and a modern (say 33x3.5mm) male end. This might not be so easy as it is very common to have both inch and metric threading available on the same lathe. My lathe only does inch threads so the graduate side wouldn't be a problem but I cant do metric. This is a nuisance for me as I would like to be able to move stuff from one lathe to the other. Perhaps I should have gone for a graduate :)

redmoorphil":6lgt7wu1 said:
Hi guys, finally sorted.
I had the chance of a nice Wivamac so I am going to pick it up on Saturday.
Really excited now and looking forward to getting started in turning.
Just need to rearrange the workshop so I can get it in.
Thanks for all your comments.
Phil

Excellent. Best of luck Phil. Don't be shy with those pics.

Back