How NOT to use a router...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Let's take a few moments to talk about shop safety... Be sure to read, understand, and follow the instructions for your power tools."

He has that look about him of a person who has had a lot of close shaves. He looks positively nervous as he grips the pieces while passing them through the machines - holding on and always on the look out for the unexpected. Watch his eyes darting around.

Clearly, the bulk of it is going over his right shoulder not directly in his face. The camera angle makes it look like he's ingesting it. He's probably holding his breath during the cut and then blowing the sawdust off his beard.

ike":exggcb4z said:
Clearly, the bulk of it is going over his right shoulder not directly in his face. The camera angle makes it look like he's ingesting it. He's probably holding his breath during the cut and then blowing the sawdust off his beard.

Oh well thats ok then :roll:.....but if its going over his shoulder why is he blowing it off his beard?

Oh deary me... Someone posted a comment on my planing a groove video "why not use a router?" - if I'd known about this one I could have saved myself some typing... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I still can't see what's wrong.

Will someone please explain.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Wow! That's truly amazing. . . .could lead to a little competition though - spot what he did correctly? Any takers? 1st prize an unused dust mask :p

Gary,

Most of the issues are to do with inhalation of dust ie no facemask while working. There is also a suggestion of climb cutting (moving the router the wrong way) on some of the cuts although this is difficult to see clearly. There are also issues of workpiece stability - the carcass clearly rocks at one point, and of router handling when away from the workpiece - spinning it in a circle while switched on in particular leading to increase chance of dropping it or getting the lead caught in the spinning cutter.

Together these could be described as not 'best working practice'!

Steve.

JimJam":2zxfvxg5 said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: Wow! That's truly amazing. . . .could lead to a little competition though - spot what he did correctly? Any takers? 1st prize an unused dust mask :p

It strikes he me that's he already in training for a far more prestigious event - The Darwin Awards. (For anyone not familiar with these, they're awarded - posthumously - to those who have managed to engineer their own demise by an act of gross stupidity, and have therefore contributed to the strengthening of the human gene pool by the process of selflessly removing themselves from it.)

He's not wearing any ear protection either! I know from experience that routing on an assembled cabinet can create an almost deafening noise even when protection is worn (I once forgot to reduce the width of some shelves, not realising until after they been fixed and I was about to attatch the back panel - D'OH!! Nothing a router and straightedge couldn't fix though).

If you look at the 'Related' videos, the 'Cut a Circle on a Table Saw' one is quite intriguing. My first thoughts were, 'How on Earth do you cut a curve on a large, wide blade?!?' But it reality, it's really quite so simple that I'm a little surprised I've not come across it before!

There's another video on there somewhere for using 'the shaper' (spindle moulder) for adding detail to a small curved-top door. That guy has a much safer approach, using a feed roller and several passes instead of one. But the sound the machine makes when following the curve is still frightening!

The sound is most probable the slipping of the roller from the feeder whislt the door is rotating under the rollers.

Back