How not to run a business

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
First, please excuse this post being a little disconnected, It's written as I think -
At the end of August, I decided to order some chainsaw chains, files and a safety helmet. I duly ordered from what appeared to be a successful online business. After nine days, I emailed to find out what had happened to it. I had already ascertained the payment had gone through - swmbo's my bank manager (it has one or two upsides :D ). The answer came back that the order didn't exist as the payment had aborted half way through, and could I prove that the bill had been paid. Certainly I say, and email my bank statement. Oh, sorry, it was a glitch that has never happened before - the helmet will go today but the chains will not be sent til next week as they're out of stock.
The helmet turns up, fine. About a week later the chains turn up, but no files. I'll give them a few days, I think, as I'm getting used to incompetence. Nothing happens. I email them - any news of the files? What files? There are no files on your order. I take time out to look at my order history on their site. He was right, no sign of files. I email back, yes there is no sign of files on the order but you computer is at fault, for it had made £17.66 + £28.44 equal £55.82. The box of files must exist on your records somewhere? If someone was supposed to have checked this out did they not notice that the sums didn't add up? Why besides anything else did it not flag up that I'd overpaid? No, there was definitely no record. Well why did the computer decide to overcharge me by £9.62 + VAT ... the exact cost of the box of files?
Oh, we're looking into it, it's a glitch that's not happened before. It seems you did pay for the files, they'll be sent out express, they should be with you tomorrow. At all times I had visions of him physically squirming to avoid giving me an apology.
I did receive another email after, though - It said that because I'd had an unfortunate experience dealing with them they could give me a 15% discount of any future purchase of chains. :lol: I don't think I'll be dealing with them again as my sanity is valuable to me.
I won't publish the name of the firm as online vendettas are ugly, but anyone who deals with chainsaws wishes to PM me I'll happily tell them.

They're maybe new to this online sales lark? I certainly wouldn't want to piddle off my customers when they're likely all skilled in the use of chainsaws :twisted: (hammer) :twisted:

Their business will thrive. I've noticed that businesses that sell cr*p along with cr*p service do rather well, those that sell great stuff with excellent service flounder. I've just been into Costa and then on to an independent and it's proving my point.

Nelsun":1tjdct6z said:
They're maybe new to this online sales lark? I certainly wouldn't want to piddle off my customers when they're likely all skilled in the use of chainsaws :twisted: (hammer) :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

Maybe order again with the 15% discount and if they mess up again they may offer you 30% discount :lol:

Well done for persevering and at least the products are good =D>

Regards Keith

I've had a busy old week ordering things that I need take a day off work to wait in for, only for them to turn out to be completely wrong! ... very annoying when I specifically asked if product had said feature before I purchased!

Although they were very good about it and arranged for it to be collected and replaced, we both lost out on it. Me having to take yet another day off, and then them having to collect and replace, which I assume can't be cheap (it was a two man delivery job).

Annoyingly, the replacement they sent (despite them confirming yet it again it has the features I requested) still only has half the features, but it'll have to do as I am not going through it again.

Phil

I have had excellent service from a company called mower magic.
Been using them for around 6 years I think

Latest posts

Back