How much should I charge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Stig

Established Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the one thing they fail to teach at college is pricing so when people ask me to hang a door or repair a lining I usually have no idea what to charge.

I was asked yesterday if I could remove an external door and frame and replace it will a new one does anyone know how much this would usually cost to do?

Have a read of the following article - http://paradigm-360.com/markup-pricing/ ... sed-markup - there's other useful articles on the site too.

I think it will give you plenty (but not too much hopefully) to think about and understand how you should price stuff up.

One man's pricing model whilst useful to another doesn't always translate - much better to understand how to price.

HIH

Dibs

Now see here Stig old mate, Just 'cos you got bit by the book writing bug and got fired don't think you can go out nicking work of good time-served tradesmen!! :lol: :lol:

Price it for a days work plus materials, if it takes you more than a day quit the trade. Should only take 3 to 4 hours but I have had them where the job has "complications" and taken longer, like the one where no lintel had been installed and the wall started to move!

Rob.

Stig - with all my work I price it on a day or half day basis. If I think it's going to take more than four hours, I quote a day. Less than four hours, half a day. What those prices are depends on the competition/affluence in your area. If you're supplying materials, add a mark up - otherwise you're running round sourcing materials (in your time) for free.

HTH.

Cheers

Karl

Back