How much light ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
The refurb' of my "new" workshop is progressing well and I need to organise some lights for the sparky to fit in a few weeks time. I would do it myself but Part P and all that has put paid to most of that these days and as he is installing a consumer unit and power circuits he might as well do the lights and sign it all off I guess.

Having only used the now old fashioned fluorescent fittings in the past I'm going to use led battens on this project and thinking of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-single-l ... -5ft/1079v

The workshop is 20' x 12' with an apex ceiling and will be painted white internally.

I'm thinking of two of those fittings on the ceiling ridge/apex (one front and one back), but as I don't want to be working in my own shadow at the sides of the workshop I'm thinking of having one, or possibly two, of the same units on the low part of the ceiling where it meets the side walls, so two units on the ridge and one or two on each side.

Any thoughts on whether that would be overkill on the lumens, or need some more, or better ideas on units or positioning?

I'll have additional task lights on machines as needed, but want the general lighting to be as good as possible to reduce the need for additional lamps where possible.

I've seen some of the posts on led panels, but want to keep installation simple and the weight loading on the roof structure needs to be managed too.

The sparky doesn't normally do this kind of work, only domestic CUs and wiring usually, so doesn't really have the experience to make suggestions on the lighting in the workshop setting.

Thks, Paul

I'll have to leave you to do the calculations, but you should aim to achieve 500 to 750 lumens per square metre at bench height. This is the standard for a kitchen. You have a little over 20 square metres, so should aim at a total of 10,000 to 15,000 lumens. You need to find the lumens output of your proposed lights and do a little division.

In this instance more is always better,put in as much light as you can afford.You can always have two separate lighting circuits so you only have switched on the light you need and remember the older you get the more light you need.I have recently had lights put in my new workshop,four double fluorescent fittings,planning would not allow me to have a pitched roof so flat ceiling,this amount of light is great for me in a workshop slightly smaller than yours,they are five foot units with 58w tubes.I wired my lighting circuits and sockets myself and the electrician fitted a consumer unit and powered it all up for me and tested the installation.You can save a few pounds doing some of the work yourself and buy extra light units with the savings.I also made the workshop much lighter by painting with off white paint.Good luck,Kevin.

Just completed my workshop 16' X 9' I do mainly wood turning I have the lathe on the back wall opposite the door and a workbench under the 8' windows that are running along from the door , hope this makes sense I have 1X4 batten over the lathe and 1X6' batten over workbench plus 2 6'battens crosswise across middle of workshop spaced equally , all switched individually so I can have on what is needed with all 4 on light is fine plenty bright enough to do any task I need , but I also got the option of switching off what i don't need . IE when im turning I only have light over lathe on and the closest crosswise 6' one , for the extra few quid do over speck as to do it later will cost a whole lot more and look like a bodge job

Think the numbers come out at six of the units at 2700 lumens each, which is about what I'd figured intuitively oddly enough !

Just need to decide the best positioning now but pretty sure it will be two on or close to each side and two on the ridge, should give a decent spread of light and avoid shadow areas hopefully.

Think I'll have the side ones on a separate switched circuit to give me options too depending on what I'm doing in there.

Thanks guys, very helpful :)

I have small LED adjustable spots over my bench exactly where I need the light. The fittings were £4 and the lamps now are only a couple of quid, they are wired with flex and 3a fused plugs, so go into existing sockets (of which there are more than enough). I learned my lesson on my old 'shop by trying to light the whole place well - then still needing localised light.

Back